The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lithman34

keeping the ball rolling

I held back to give someone else the chance to make a comment, but .......:)

Its a nice quality picture, sort of reminds me of those warm toned Ilford Gallery printing papers of old. I think this would also look much better larger. The darker top and bottom also holds it all together well.

Not gone away. Just too busy with a new AV hence not many forum postings. I really like the first image and think the ir treatment adds a lot to what might have been a little flat.  I like the second image also, but do not see what the advantage of  using ir over a tinted mono technique has achieved.

I have pondered several times whether to buy a second hand SLR and have it converted. But then I would have two bodies to lug around and my D7200 is enough at present. But certainly the ir images posted here make the thought of trying ir tempting.

Hi

I too have been pondering over this issue of perhaps buying a second hand body and having it converted. Perhaps having a go myself having watched some Youtube clips on how this can be done. Like most out there I have a number of compact cameras which haven't seen the light of day ( now that was an unintentional pun) for a long long time.I appreciate that the quality with such wouldn't match the stunning images that have been seen on this post by Barry and others but it might be a start.

The clips on Youtube do not suggest it is a difficult procedure in itself if explored properly and taken slowly.  I wonder if any out there  have done a conversion themselves?

Watch this (IF) space?

Anthony

I have looked ar a Youtube video of typical conversion process and it looks complicated plus the resetting of the focus afterwards. I have a Lumix G3 which will cost £250 plus VAT to service and convert so I am going down that route.

Sometimes there isn’t much advantage to Infra red apart from the fact it handles contrast scenes very well. But, you do start any manipulations from a raw image that is similar to one exposed to the right.

It makes the processing pretty easy, but not all scenes work well. Those containing lots of grass and bushes Can often look like a white out :)

I am all for trying something new, but no sense in reinventing the wheel. :)

You do learn that with Infra Red, there are some subject contents that just don’t work that well. When you are framing a shot, you have to remember how the tones will be rendered and that can be different with different filters that are applied to the sensor.

There seems to be a certain uniqueness with some converted cameras, but we soon learn what our particular camera can do. The attached Infra Red has some colour and filter effect

Red tree.jpg

Great to see your images in this Keep the Ball Rolling topic.

For anyone wishing to have their camera converted into infrared or purchasing a second hand SLR or compact I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. I can only vouch for myself. After a lot of thought I purchased a second hand Canon 400D SLR so that I could interchange my lenses, it was a good price with a kit lens and all accessories. This is a very lightweight camera and lens and a pleasure to use. The image below is taken with this camera.

I looked on Youtube to see if I could possibly convert the camera myself but as JEvans commented it does look complicated plus the focus reset afterwards was enough to put me off. I had it converted with my choice of filter 720nm mainly black and white by Protech Photographic. It cost £250.00 + £12.00 p&p each way. 

JEvans

I have sold my Canon 400D and now have my Canon Mark 11 converted into infrared after I purchased the Canon 5DSR, unfortunately I can’t carry both bodies and a lens together as much i would love to. These days I depend on the weather as to which camera I take with me. This works for me. 

Barry

Not sure if it’s my taste, but I do tend to like some images with the white foliage too especially when they have a painterly effect. Always said I’d never make a judge.

Barns bb.jpg

Can I suggest that you be more aggressive with contrast in your Infra red shots. The one above looks a bit flat to me and you need to lighten that barn so the viewer is attracted along those lines in the grass

contrast.jpg

If I were to generalise with Infra Red, I would say that you have to be pretty aggressive with those Raw sliders. The good news is that in my experience the Infra Red images can cope with that.

Add plenty of Clarity and even De-Haze at times. I also find my files can take a lot of the black slider too and that adds impact. Sometimes you will need to hold some areas back, but the images need good contrast

Just sent a Lumix G3 off to ACS Ltd in Kent for conversion using 720nm filter. Cost £250 plus vat. Will post results and experience when it returns. Really like your Kent picture Barry. Somehow seems to have more punch than standard mono. What does it print like if you have tried a print? Chose the G3 because it was available and (very) lightweight so can take it out with my Nikon as well.

JEvans

Kent picture??

I have always assumed that my camera (my only experience of infra red) is pretty typical. That the images you get from infra red are low in contrast a little like exposing to the right on a dawn or dusk shoot.  However, on a bright sunny day you can get a lot of infra red light bouncing off the trees and sky and it all adds up to a raw file that has lots of scope in our image editor.

But they need some aggressive editing at times, but the good news is they can take it.

I haven’t had an Infra red image printed, as I have no need of prints, but via Loxley or RGB in Brisbane here, I have no doubt they would look great.

Good Luck with the conversion I am sure it will be fine.

The wave action has been nicely stopped. It reminded me of a local guy who prints and frames images for sale in his gallery. He told me that those dreamy slow shutter speed shots photographers like so much rarely sell.

The general public are not quite so keen on them as the photographers are. You have certainly caught that wave about right.

the colour shot is calming, does the image have a delicate texture?

Thank you Morturn, Barry

I think the dreamy slow shutter speed shots that photographers like so much is that they show the creativity side of photography and we think we should create this when we see water, especially water falls. Its the matter of taste again, I think the image above is much better as an action shot. I remember a friend a few years ago commenting on some of my images of dreamy water falls "the creamy waters can only be created by professional photographers" I felt quite pleased with myself:D He wasn't a photographer himself:wacko: Maybe this is why the general public are not so keen and are not able to create the motion:D

I used Cavedweller11 from Topaz Impressions for the delicate texture, it also has a slight rusty tone, it is very effective if anyone has the filter. Trying it soon on an infrared image.