The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JEvans

Swabian Sunset

I have just returned from a visit to my family in Germany.  They live in a small village in southern Germany near the Black Forest and have some very good sunsets.  Going out one evening, I saw this cross on the top of a hill, with some farm buildings and an orchard in the background.  By careful placingof the camera, I managed to get the cross on the thirds and between two outlined trees and then waitd for the sun to set. 

It was bitterly cold but I managed to stick it out.  Unfortunately in that area, there are quite a lot of power lines and pylons and these had to be carefully cloned out. I also selected part of the cross so that I could highlight the figure.

17_Dec25-46-Edit.jpg

Jeff

Very picturesque, certainly beats Whitley Bay. I think I would have removed the branches from the top right but otherwise I think it is excellent.

Paul

The light is great and I like the way it's picking out the grass in the foreground, but I would like to see another shot just as that sun dipped below the horizon. I am sure you were still there taking pictures.  You may need to deal with that halo around the top of the cross, although I know sometimes we can get this just by reducing the resolution for posting, but its not hard to eradicate.

Not a religious person myself, so you need to take that into account when I say I would have stepped passed the cross and just took the landscape.  

Thanks for all your comments.  I have removed the branches and dealt with the halo.  But for me the cross adds to the drama.  As for staying on until the sun finally set, I had been there one and a half hours already and it was -7 degrees : too cold for me.

Jeff

I agree that you need something in the foreground. I'm probably even less religious than Barry and never really thought about the cross as a symbol of faith - it just seemed to be part of the picture and had it not been there you'd have needed a tree or something similar. I still like the photo even if you did get cold.

Paul

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this