The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

The Mavic pro at Dawn

Took my son to Pt. Cartwright a headland 15 minutes away to take some Panoramic images at dawn with the drone.  I got him to create the panorama manually using the 4:3 images  (4000px by 3000px) in portrait mode.

He was about 400-500m out at sea looking back. This image is a stitch of 7 images given a finished file size of 9000px by 4111px

DJI_0714-Pano-1.jpg

This next image I got him to to do two passes of images, one up and one down, so here we have 15 images with a final image size of 8800px by 5700px. Both this and the image above were easily stitched in ACR as a Raw file. The benefit of that is obvious, you then have a raw file to work on as a pano 

DJI_0723-Pano-1.jpg

although the Mavic Pro will take a series of 21 shots for an auto pano, it seems to be something more unique to it. Trying to stitch those 21 auto panos in ACR to retain the raw file is problematic. The Mavic software will stitch them, but only as a jpg.

The manually shot panos all seem to stitch perfectly ok in ACR, consistently good.

Yes, it’s his last full day today, we take him to the airport tomorrow and it has been an interesting time with the Mavic. I think he has benefited from my experience, because I have taken him to the right places at the right time. The images above were shot this morning at dawn, but later today we flew the Mavic over Brisbane River in the heart of the city, but I have not seen the results yet.

The only thing that holds me back from getting a Mavic drone now is that the scuttlebut is that another Mavic Pro 2 will be launched shortly with a larger 1 in sensor. The talk is March if the rumours are right.

So, I will wait  a little while and see what, if anything comes up in the next month or so.

You wrote:

Both this and the image above were easily stitched in ACR as a Raw file

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw converter ?  Might be another software for stitching ?

There are lots of programs for stitching, but how many stitch the pano in raw. Most seem to provide a jpg and that takes away too much of the processing power.

As you know the exposure at one end of a pano may be different from the other. When you can do your processing with a raw file, it’s a huge advantage. I am sure there is another stitch program that does the same, but if ACR does it, and you have it, why keep looking.

The only thing ACR cannot do consistently is stitch the Mavic 21 image auto pano that the Mavic creates. You point the drone at your subject and hit a button and it does the rest, moving the craft to take three rows of 7 images. What I would like to see is a save button after a flight, so the pano you took manually, if successful, could be repeated via a custom function.

Well the Amazon supplier, Tornado Sales has failed to deliver my Mavic Pro by the due date and has also not responded to information requests. I have cancelled the order and just waiting for a refund. Once sorted I may take a look at the Mavic Pro Mk2

The only issue with that,  is the Mavic Pro 2 is just a rumour at the present time, but one I am happy to go along with for a while. I am sure I saw the Mavic drones on the shelf of the iStore just before Christmas when we visited to get an iPhone fixed. So they may be able to supply one.

Well. my drone and Pilot have headed back to the UK, so now I am droneless :wacko:

We checked the logs before he left and found he had flown almost 80 times while in Australia. He certainly has some interesting pictures and video to take back, especially when you consider he is not a Photographer.

One of the issues we would have to grapple with is that the Mavic Pro does not have an aperture you can change. Shutter speeds, yes, but the aperture is fixed at f2.2. It means that if you shoot video in bright sunny conditions at 30 frames a second, the shutter speed can actually be too high. The video frames are too sharp, believe it or not and the idea is that shutter speed for video should be around twice the frame rate. So at 30 frames per second we need a 60th or 125th of a second shutter. In sunny conditions you cannot achieve that without a neutral density filter.

Its worth looking at one or two YouTube videos on this subject as what they say makes perfect sense