The Beckham Digital Forum
Barry

August Competition – Closed

By popular demand 🙂

Please enter just one image via the file drop link below. There is no need to add a title or your name on the image, in fact it's better if they remain completely anonymous.

Rules. - There are no rules, apart from the image should be all your own work.

File Sizes - There are no file sizes. You can upload images at any size you want, but consider sending images at their full resolution. I promise to delete them on completion of the competition

Subject -  You can submit any subject, any style. Black and white, filtered, Infra red. Its not important how you created the image, the important aspect is the final image itself.

Honour Code -  All I ask is that those who enter do so in an honourable way. It makes no sense whatsoever to take a tried and tested image. (one already marked highly in another competition) and re-submit it here. What would be the point?

Entrants must be aware that the results may be placed into a slide show and posted back on the forum for all members to view.

Enter HERE via a file Drop

Click the link, drag one unnamed image onto the page and upload

Firstly an Intro and although in that intro I said I would post marks on the video, I haven't, they are enclosed separately. The marks were done by 5 other Photographic enthusiasts who I have respect for, people who never got to see or hear the judges comments. So, one person made the comments, 5 others did the marking

Intro as an Mp4

Marks

Commentary

That worked for me. I really like the concept of a ‘commentary session’, it gave a lot more learning opportunity than a competition could have ever have done.

For someone who cannot sit still and watch more than a five-minute video, I was able to hang onto every word. There were some amazing images and it was interesting to see how others view them.

Big thanks to Barry for setting this up, you certainly a lot of work put into it. Also, not forgetting the people who submitted their images, I certainly enjoyed looking at each of them. I hope we can do this again sometime.

Many Thanks Barry for your hard work. I liked the idea of how you put it all together, lots to learn from your comments and all who entered to make it so, also thanks to the judges. 

As you know I'm going through a difficult time at home so you have cheered me up immensely and with my score have verified myself as a photographer😁 well for today anyway

Thank you Barry also the team that helped put this together, I listened very carefully to the commentary I agree with Morturn “The commentary session was a learning opportunity” over the years I have sat through many competitions listening to judge’s who seem to be reading from a script.

I also downloaded the video “Back Button Focusing I have been using it for about 3 months, at first changing over just one of my cameras until I was happy, will not go back now for sport / fast moving objects it has made quite a difference to my photography, the Image I entered was shot using this method.

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to the next one. Gerry.

Barry, thanks for your thoughtful comments on all the images.  I enjoyed seeing the different types of subjects and the many ways you pointed out what could be done differently to make them "better".  

Thanks for all your hard work putting this together and also thanks to the people who scored them.

12 hours ago, Barry said:

It depends what the reason for entering is? I sometimes still enter, but I'm not learning anything from judges anymore.

I'm not a prolific photographer, but every now and then I come up with something that works. So if I put any image into a competition I deem it good enough to stand up to scrutiny and hope the judge agrees and responds with a score that reflects my assessment. I'm still learning from judges and what works and what is likely to be a no no. It may be that you don't listen to the judges anymore, because your experience in Photography exceeds their ability and you have well proven that you can enter images into competitions and receive top ratings. I don't enter images into competitions unless I feel it is worthy of gaining creditable marking.

In the case of this competition the commentary and marking have confirmed that my adjustments to the image were acceptable and that technically the image was good, the subject composition was off and the subject matter was not interesting enough, which the judges have confirmed by the ratings. As you asked for images that have not been tried and tested, my entry was based on this and the results have shown I'm half way there but need the extra work to get all the way. A satisfactory confirmation and assessment I would say.

A recent questionair at my own club asked what members want. One member was asking for less technical and more encouragement in the section on judges.

I don’t know how to achieve encouragement, without some technical. Unless we allow our hobby to be taken over by political correctness, where we never say anything negative and only say nice things. Many judges are doing this already and the results are like a politician. Saying lots of words that are pretty much meaningless. To encourage you need to point the author towards a solution and in a technical hobby that might just involve a technical answer.

I saw an on line group reduced to back slappers over a period of time. Anytime a member posted an image, there was a queue to say how wonderful the image was. The problem was that many were not that wonderful, but in that type of environment, anyone who had the audacity to say so, was vilified as a nasty person, because they stood out from the rest.

It’s why I favour the entries being unarmed. 

Tinion

Your reply came is as I was typing the one above. 

As times goes on, I think we draw our own individual line of acceptability or as you say it creditable. I think they both mean the same. Then over time that line gradually rises as we get better. How far,  is up to the drive and enthusiasm of the author, but I can see that in my own approach as clear as day.

I have my own standard that I apply to competitions and even the videos I make. Having said that, look at the variation in marks from those 13 images. It’s not entirely right to draw conclusions from one set of images, but we can speculate.

It seems that we mostly agree on what are the best images and the worst. But those in between can fall into any order depending on the person judging, especially if it was only one judge.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.