The Beckham Digital Forum
Barry

August Competition – Closed

Barry

I can only agree with everyone else, thank you very much, the comments were valuable and I think that this is a very good way to learn photography.

Why is it that as soon as I hear your comments I think 'Of course, why didn't I notice that before submitting'. Every suggestion you made about my photograph was something which I should have noticed myself, but didn't.

I really appreciate all the effort you put into the competitions. Please can we have more.

Paul

There can be more, but you might have to put up with my comments. It’s sounds a bit arrogant coming from me, but I don’t think I can find anyone to replicate the comments you heard in that presentation. 

I agree with Paul

Why is it that as soon as I hear your comments I think 'Of course, why didn't I notice that before submitting'. Every suggestion you made about my photograph was something which I should have noticed myself, but didn't.

I can put up with your comments, maybe not so much arrogant but being respected as a perfectionist.

Liked the way you organized this exercise Barry, it was interesting to look at the scores of the judges but it was your commentary that offered some real assistance. Value your feedback, happy that you seem to be planning to take on that role in future competitions. joan

On 8/18/2018 at 11:22 PM, Barry said:

As times goes on, I think we draw our own individual line of acceptability or as you say it creditable. I think they both mean the same. Then over time that line gradually rises as we get better. How far,  is up to the drive and enthusiasm of the author, but I can see that in my own approach as clear as day.

Totally agree with the above comment, I can see that I have improved since being a beginner, and got to level somewhere in the middle. It is a bit like playing golf, you can be good one day and totally poor the next and hence the reason for handicaps. It's back to that attention to detail thing that you keep drilling into us. Get that right and you can improve, plus having that drive and enthusiasm. 

I think the comments good and bad are a requirement or how else are we going to learn. As Doreen says, sometimes, we don't see the obvious while manipulating, but also at the taking stage. Some people have a hard time with critique of an image and don't want to hear the bad commentary. I don't see the point in just good commentary if the image is poorly executed, technically or manipulation wise. 

Too right. I have been recording some new videos for Shooting and Manipulating Raw images over the past few weeks. I have said a few times while recording that if we have the patience to go two thirds of the way through a manipulation, save it. Then come back the next day to finish it, we see more and the picture tends to be better.

its the same thing we experience when writing a letter. We miss words, typos and spelling mistakes, reading right over them, until we have a break and come back.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.