The Beckham Digital Forum
Barry

August 2018 Newsletter + Videos

I enjoy these newsletters, very useful and informative.

I watched the Challenge of Creativity - excellent, Barry. I need to watch it again with a pen and notepad this time, there is so much info in it, well done.

I also watched the video, it contained a lot of indepth info.  I wonder if videos such as these would lead to a wider audiance,  to watch it in  full you have to be very interested in the subject,  or you are likely to switch off. The video is obviously well made , you go out of your way to capture the viewer from the word go. The problem is to maintain that interest. I tried it with a club member he started off full interest, but was having trouble maintaing full concentration. What it boiled down to he wasn't realy that interested to go into much depth.

I feel that if this is to succeed they will have to be shorter  and concentrate perhaps on one main point.

I personnaly love to watch youtube podcasts as photography is my main interest and I am keen to learn all aspects of my hobby and love trying different things. So keep up the good work.

11 hours ago, lithman34 said:

I also watched the video, it contained a lot of in depth info.  I wonder if videos such as these would lead to a wider audience,  to watch it in  full you have to be very interested in the subject,  or you are likely to switch off.

Yes, I agree you do have to be interested to hang in there, but that is the point really. They are aimed at those who have that interest and this is what's good about YouTube. It's not like TV where we are fed the programs they decide,  when they decide to do it. With YouTube the individual decides what to view and when.  I like that idea a lot.  Also the YouTube viewer doesn't have to make it a marathon, they can watch the podcast a bit at a time, when they feel like it. That's what I tend to do. I will also create them as a download so they can be loaded up onto mobile devices too. 

The video is obviously well made , you go out of your way to capture the viewer from the word go. The problem is to maintain that interest. I tried it with a club member he started off full interest, but was having trouble maintaining full concentration. What it boiled down to he wasn't really that interested to go into much depth.

You can't sit someone down to watch a one hour photographic talk unless they are an enthusiastic photographer. Thats unlikely to work

I feel that if this is to succeed they will have to be shorter  and concentrate perhaps on one main point.

Then we are back to a basic step by step tutorial, I want to do something a bit broader than that at times. Not all topics lend themselves to short main point presentations and some of what I say will be my opinion. Like graduated filters are a waste of time and money.  There's a good topic

I personally love to watch youtube podcasts as photography is my main interest and I am keen to learn all aspects of my hobby and love trying different things. So keep up the good work.

I'll give it a try and have one done for next month with a few being written. I also like YouTube, but not so keen that they are now censoring content for hate speech, but don't define what exactly is hate speech. It seems to be anything they don't agree with. That is back to my gripe over stupid camera club rules which cannot be policed because members don't know where the line is either 

Barry, I liked the video "The Challenge of Creativity".  It seems a good way of presenting and showing ideas that go in the process of making an AV.

Hope to see more in the future.

Barry

Firstly, thank you for comparing TV and You tube. I didn’t realise that the latter did anything like you suggested and have spent several hours since listening to talks and lectures from the leading particle physicists from places like CERN and Fermilab describing their experiments and results. I haven’t got a TV so can’t say it’s better but You tube is excellent.  Perhaps nuclear physics isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but do look for subjects which interest you;  you’ll be as amazed as I was.

I watched ‘The Challenge’ a couple of times with ‘Directors cut’ before and after. I enjoyed both videos and feel that what I saw in ‘Challenge’ improved my appreciation of the second viewing of ‘DC’. I’m not sure that this is what you were trying to achieve but I often feel more interested in the nuts and bolts than in the finished article – I blame an art free engineering background.

I did think that ‘Challenge’ explained your thinking well and I have at last come to understand the Third Image concept although I only really liked the one with the trees and foamy water; as you said it could have been a standalone image. I would have liked to hear some of the sound associated with the slide changes when you were talking about this aspect as it is very difficult to remember everything said previously when watching the show.

Probably getting off the subject a bit (again!) but I think it would be valuable to have this sort of commentary on any AV. It must always be helpful to know what the author was trying to achieve and is a painless way of learning new techniques etc.

There were a couple of points which occurred to me which someone might be able to help with.

What on earth is a Podcast? Or do I not want to know.

I like to animate the title and also have one or two exciting slides preceding it in an attempt to grab the audience’s attention. Often my title, in a simple font and colour, rises from behind a building or similar. Is this considered passé these days?

You mention Batch Processing of the images before making the show. This would be fine if the original shots were all perfect but I usually need to do a lot of work in Photoshop and final cut to size is easily done. Perhaps I just need to be a better photographer.

Finally, sorry for all the verbiage but it was a long video, I would like to see more videos like Challenge but I’m not sure that it will be  an improvement on you usual tutorials – why not try one and see

Paul

Paul

Your first paragraph sums up my own views pretty well and it's especially relevant to news. I have zero confidence in any mainstream news outlet to avoid blatant bias or outright lies. You can find outlets on Youtube, but even then you need to be selective and build up confidence in what your viewing. I have watched a number of speakers over many months and when some appear in the news, how they are described and what is claimed of them I have never witnessed at all. The mainstream media denigrate them with just the headline

I only thought of creating something on the Directors Cut after I received a number of positive comments on the presentation and listening to those long debates on YouTube. There was a lot of discussion that suggested people had short attention spans and would never sit for an hour to listen to any subject, but they clearly do. There are lots of topics that you can't always have interesting things on screen for the amount of time you need to talk about it. I have also heard people suggest they are popular, because you can listen in re-claimed time. (while doing something else) You can listen to what you want, when you want, while engaged in mopping the floor, cleaning the car. That seems to be one of the positive aspects 

A podcast seems to describe an audio only presentation or discussion, Try James Dellingpole for one of those. However, I have heard the term podcast given to those presentations where the speaker and/or their subject is on camera too. Rather like the old TV discussions, but here they are in depth. Many people can hide their true opinions in a 3 minute TV interview, not so easy in an hour or more. 

With regard AV titles: I think some are rather naff to give them an Essex Boy term :-) but I am not sure you can label any one type like that. It's one of those things where you have great difficulty describing what is considered in or out, but you know it when you see it.

Batch processing: mmmmm. I mention that because I know some people like to make slide shows, but don't really have patience to do so. It's the modern, can't be bothered syndrome. I never batch process anything apart from a few dust spots or to get a size I want easily.  Every picture I create is a one off, even all the slideshow images, but I know that is far too much for many people who want a quicker route. They can have a quicker route, but at a cost I personally am not willing to pay.  It doesn't matter how good a photographer you are, it's going to be rare to create something with wow value with an automatic process. I would probably go as far as saying impossible. 

I have a Podcast on Rules next month, but some other topics later too. Graduated filters, Image Editing SatNav, Exposure Logic. Then one on the Exposure Triangle. These things give me a purpose and keep me off the streets or chasing women :-) Not that I could catch any

Hello Barry,

Enjoyed your August [ respected and impressive ] newsletter.

I enjoy using PTE and reading your newsletter always encourages me to try something new. My latest idea required I make a new Action.

My rusty brain was having trouble interpreting my very old notes on making an Action. My index advised me the info came from one of your DVD disks. I have all of the disks catalogued and in a binder so it was easy to locate. This one is very old Tips & Tricks & Fun Stuff Volume 1.Produced 2004.

I know you covered Actions again on a later disk but this oldie answered my question.

Thanks for the link to your You Tube Channel. I know it will be most informative.

Mairi

38 minutes ago, Mairi said:

I know you covered Actions again on a later disk but this oldie answered my question.

Thank you Mairi, but I don't quite understand this line. Are you asking a question?

Hello Barry,

No question, I found the info I needed on the old disk.

I had missed one simple step of closing the image before I saved the Action.

I think I was just trying to say basic info you provided way back in 2004 still applies.

Mairi