The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lithman34

before/after

_MG_6815.thumb3.thumb.jpeg.fde608ddb32cebc939a259dcc46347d3.jpeg

I would say that you have done a good job except for the starburst. Normally you would get multiple starbursts with a f16 f22 aperture according to the number of blades in the lens. They may not be so spread out over such a distance. If you were aiming for a Jacob ladder type effect because of the wheel then they would be spread wider when further from the sun. 

This type of image can be manipulated in many ways and I am sure lots of filters could be used to get many different effects. I would be tempted to try lots of different methods and filters to ponder and decide over several days which is best. 

Having the brighter foreground, maximising the colours in the sun area and using a vignette would also be my preferred route.

Things are also a little quiet here today, cool weather, rain and I just finished my Shooting Raw Project.and looking for something to do

So. I sat down with Lithman's original Raw image (thanks for sending it) and recorded the manipulations I made. The video is stitching together as I type, so I will add a link to it a little later.  Link to Video HERE

_MG_6814-finishedHD.jpg

Nice Video Barry, it shows perfectly the lengths you have to go to, to get the personal WOW factor.

One minor thing I noticed that you don't seem to mention in your videos when using the Gradient Tool. Using the shift key at the same time as drawing the gradient helps to keep it straight. It saves the small amount of fiddling at the end. It 's one of those things that becomes automatic when you know about it and you never forget to use, when needed.     

I do sometimes mention it, but I am also conscious that sometimes I might be hitting people with too much at one time. It’s like the basic brush, I use it 99% of the time, but do I show each time how to find the brush?  The graduated filters in Raw and PS also snap to a preselected angle if you hold the shift key and drag left or right.

holding the shift key when dragging one layer onto another is a similar thing. It ensures that one layer sits square on top of the other, which can be useful

They say that frustration is the mother of invention. Anyone who has used the radial blur filter knows that to position it exactly is a work of art, and if you have shakey hands, impossible.

Having used cntrl Z a dozen times I sat looking at the layers panel thinking there has to be an easier way. Then the brain started to get into gear, if I can use transform/perspective to adjust rays, why can't I use transform to move. So, I completed my sun rays even though they wern't in the right position, I went into free transform tried the up/down arrows and they worked a treat.  The use of smart filters so that you can keep revisiting  or cntrl Z to keep undoing, is now not needed. The rays of course have to be on their own layer.

Don't quite understand Lithman, if you used Luminar to create the rays, why not use the centre option in the luminar filter, to position them exactly where you want. I can understand if you are trying to create them using other methods in Photoshop.

I think the rays in your last shot work pretty well. Are you going to place the image before a judge and see what comments are made? I can’t now recall if you’re a club member or not.

No I am not a club member, I haven't entered any compitition for years, I do have a small group  of 6 we are all enthusiasts, we just view our latests images , and exchange ideas and I help out with photoshop. I even retired from the RPS many years ago as there didn't seem much point living in Spain. No body else ever sees any of my images  they just sit on the PC.

It looks like I have a Flickr a/c I belonged to a group years ago that is now defunct. I have updated this a/c added some new images, and changed the name to lithman34 I haven't a clue how to use the site I have just entered everything into public viewing. How do I view other peoples  images unless I know their a/c name?

Lithman

I found you too, but a group is a bit different to a personal space I think. As far as I know you can belong to a group and link pictures from your own Flickr site to the group.

I had some connection with a group like that once

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this