The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Bentley

Background.

I was looking for a complex subject to demonstrate creating a cut-out manually with a Mask. It took me less than 20 minutes to cut out the subject including the grille over the headlight that was full of tiny holes. It took 10 minutes to repair the wheels because the base of each wheel was lost in the grass that the car was standing on.

I'm not entirely happy with background, but perhaps I'll have another go at that a little later. I also forgot to just flatten the bottom of the tyres a little as we would expect to see with a heavy car. 

Good job, I will have to try the same technique with one I was struggling with due to the grass beneath the wheels. Don't you just hate it at these events, where they park there cars next to each other and stick white paper labels with entry details etc. in the windscreen, with no regard for us photographers trying to get a clean shot! 

I get the wife to remove the sign and put it back after the shot. Unless the owner is there to ask, but I do agree. I found a good car shot yesterday, but it had a sign that was not impossible to remove, but it would have complicated what I wanted to show.

It's the tyres that take the time and I usually start off with an oval selection and then transform a selection to get it right. Takes a lot of moving and shifting to get it right though

Just got back from this week's club talk from this guy about composites. 

https://www.flickr.com/people/adrianlines/

Interestingly he says that the cut outs in Photoshop don't have to be that great, as long as the image tells a story and the composition is believable, then the judges ignore any small imperfections. Lighting and shadows are probably more important and using a background receding into the distance gives the image more depth.

Finding the right background that works is one of the harder jobs I think and I can go along with what he says about cut out, up to a point.  Accuracy is needed in some areas, just horses for courses really

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this