The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
joan mb

Uluru (Ayres Rock)

My husband and I visited Uluru in August of this year and I have put together this collage of some of the photos I took in the couple of days we were there.

Uluru is such an Australian icon and we are used to seeing many images of it in the tourist promotions. I thought I would be disappointed when I actually got to see it but I was not. It is a very impressive chunk of red rock that stands out in the flat desert landscape. But it's greatest appeal is when you get close and can see the effects of time and the elements.

The other amazing aspect of this visit was the numbers of tourists of all nationalities who were there. I hadn't realized the part that digital photography and social media are playing in the growth of the tourist industry. It seems that the object of most peoples travel's is to take, or have taken, a photo of themselves posed in front of well recognized tourist attractions and no doubt to post them on various social media. It was a revelation!1044253031_ulurumontage-1.thumb.jpg.6895670867e6be6f96499f986d1ba03f.jpg

Great light.

I was there 25 years ago and it looked strangely different then. 😉

I got to climb to to the top - I understand that it is not allowed any more? This is a quick scan from an Ektachrome so not the same quality as the original.

DG

750_1876-1.jpg

Interesting perspective Dave. The centre image on the top row of my collage is actually of people making their way up the rock. Bit hard to make them out in such small pic of course. There is an appeal from the indigenous owners not to climb the rock these days but busloads of them walk past the signs and attempt it

. It seems 35 people have died doing so and I believe that it will no longer be an option from the end of this month.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this