The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scots_quine

Voice overs

• Get rid of the script and just use bullet points or a mind map (if they work for you).

• Practice, practice and practice on a digital recorder. After all its only a few electrons you are inconveniencing.

• Talk through a few sentences that you are comfortable with, just to get you in the mood to record, then top and tail the bit off you don’t need.

• Get the mic as close to the source as possible, you can get away with not so good video of the sound track is good.

• Learn how to edit sound files, its quite surprising how well this works.

I can’t disagree with the comments above. I often use a full script for just the introductions to a video tutorial. It makes sure you don’t miss anything you wanted to say, but reading it fluently is not easy. We write a lot differently than we talk is the first problem. Then, because we rarely like the sound of our own voice, we try and posh it up while recording and it can all go wrong. 

You really can write something that is easy to read in your head, then find the words are in an order that seem to defy being spoken out loud. It’s quite odd at times. When I get to the tutorial bit of my recording and if you could see me do it. It’s like I have someone beside me and I am showing and telling them what we need to do. I even use arm and hand gestures when I am alone in a room recording. I assume someone is sitting beside me and that helps.

Bullet points are a good idea as Morturn says. You can make sure you don’t miss anything, but you have to fill in the remainder off the top your head and that helps with the fluency. When you start recording your own voice, it gives you a new respect for newsreaders doesn’t it?

My wife says I should provide an out-take video collection for all the times I start swearing after screwing up a recording.  She says she often stands outside the door waiting for a break in my recording  to come in and talk to me and she hears me cursing :-)

I especially like getting to the end of a more complex take and a bloody pop up appears to tell me some stupid info I could have been given later. When making tutorials, you often have a problem with the continuity of the visuals. Rolling things back to say the words again is the easy bit. Its getting the screen back to where you need to start the second take. Sometimes it's not possible.