The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Site Maps

Has anyone ever used or found useful a site-map on a web site. They are generated by website software, presumably to aid navigation and often a link shows to them in the menus.

I've never used one and I suspect most haven't either, but if you have can you say how it helped you

Thinking of one last upgrade to a new secure website and its doing my head in :-)

That’s what I thought. I think they are something that may have been of use, before web navigation changed so you can see all the menus on practically every page.

I have been trying out some demo website and shop software, that I might go for and I saw it on the pages and in the admin section. I don’t think I would bother having it take up a spot on a menu to be honest. The thing is you often worry that perhaps there is a reason for it, that your missing 

I can understand a site map as a plan of what to do, (as in the link above) but can't see how a site map would help a visitor to a website when they see a link to the site map in the options. I've never used a site map link on a site and bet not many others have either.

I am just about to embark on my third and final website build. That's why this topic came up at all. I've taken the plunge for a number of reasons, none of them financial. One is that I need an SSL certificate because Browsers are about to start making life difficult for those who don't. The secure part of our shop is the Payment Gateway, not the website, but needs must

The support and development  for our old shop/site (they are one and the same ) is just not there. It appears to be dying so I may as well get off the train before it goes over a cliff. I also need a purpose and something to do in my retirement and this fills that need.

So far I have been playing around with a demo site to make sure it will do what I want and in the next day or so I'll pay the money (gulp) and get started. The good news is I do have a great guru who is an expert on this stuff and it's he who gives me techie help and hosts my site. Not this forum, but the main web site

So, watch this space.

Some say that the purpose of a sitemap is a place to show you in one place all the layout and links direct to all pages. It can be useful for search engine optimisation as they can use this one location to get to all other parts of your site quicker, don't ask me how that's done. The savvy users who head direct to a sitemap use it for quickness to get direct to what they are looking. Those designing large websites would have a sitemap for their many developers so they can quickly locate pages to know where the code they are developing is going to fit. 

I don't think missing it off your site is going to hurt, as long as your site is user friendly and easy to navigate there should be no issues. 

Surely your guru can advise you about sitemaps. 

It's not so much not having a sitemap, I think they are created automatically. Its having a link to a sitemap so visitors can browse it. Just takes up a menu spot that may be better used for something more relevant.