The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Mp4 videos on the Internet

Should Mp4 videos be zipped like exe files for transportation over the internet.  I feel the answer is no, but I'm not sure and a Google search didn't seem to reveal much.

What's the consensus

Just as quick test I zipped 2 x Mp4 files

File 1 was 1.57 minutes of video and 22.3MB size and when zipped it was 21.6MB size.

File 2 was your Cloud Storage MP4 which was 17.26 minutes of video and 79.4MB and when zipped it was 73.2MB size.

So sending a zip file instead of an MP4 is not going to save you a significant amount of time on uploading or downloading.

The only exception I can see is if a customer has some software that prevents MP4 downloads (due to cyber security issues) then that will prevent them downloading.

I should have made my question a little more clear. Not really looking for a size saving, but was thinking of the virus issues. They just don't seem as relevant with Mp4 videos as they are/were with executable files. Is that just my perception of am I missing something.

If I have an Mp4 video. so I put it up on line and link to it as an Mp4 or zip it first 

If you look at some of the companies who sell sound tracks, there is a mix. Some do, and some don’t zip the MP3 files. Perhaps its harder or not practical to hide a virus in an mP3 file.

So, if space is not an issue than don’t zip them.

The view of a web professional is that the only way a virus could get into an Mp4 is if I placed it there, which I won’t of course.

As a large worldwide corporate user, our remote IT department are big on cyber security. They don't like us sending jpg files as attachments to emails as they can hide viruses or malicious software. They do let us watch You Tube video and are always sending us corporate videos and training packages as MP4 files. This tells us that MP4 files are not as much a cyber security issue. Therefore I think you will be free to send MP4 files rather than zipped. You have been letting people download MP4 files from your mediafire or from your website, and I venture no one has had a problem with viruses from those sources, so I imagine you will be safe from any issues.

If you zipped a file with an MP4 that had a virus in it, the user will unzip their end and still have the virus! 🙄    

My web guru has said much the same and I have allowed download of an unzipped mp4s with no reported problems as you say. There has never been one example of a PTE file executable file containing a virus, but many virus programs will block them. A bit more understandable in those cases.

its the blocking that does damage to the reputation even when its unfounded

A executable file has the ability of running software on a PC so that is how viruses can get installed on computers without the users knowledge. So it's no wonder that anti virus packages see an exe file and start to throw up warnings. Digital signatures on exe files from the big players, Microsoft etc. go some way to prevent that blocking, but the small software houses have to spend time and effort trying to get round those same issues, so it becomes frustrating for them just trying to keep up with the changes. Look how many updates Microsoft pump out for security issues alone and never really get on top of it. Malware could be put in an MP4 for example as subtitles, but viruses or security is more likely to be affected by using the player software which is more likely to have vulnerabilities.