The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

New website

I am currently up to my neck building a new web site. It’s a bit of a job when you have to take content that has built up over years and then reorganise it, prepare it and get it all into a new site.

its not going too bad, but it’s rather like taking on a difficult project with Photoshop when you don’t have experience of the software. The menus that drive the site are extensive. Added to that is my guru is in the UK, so when I get stuck, he’s asleep and when he replies, I’m asleep 

I may be gone for some time 😀

I think I may have broken the new site and also the current one as well. While working on the new site trying to work out how to set up discounts it all went south. Both the new site and the existing one went down.

A coincidence? Not likely seeing as they both occupy the same web space. Let’s hope my guru can flick a switch and it all pops up again.

I will tell you something. This web creation stuff is like a secret society and I’m not sure they have let me in yet 😇

Yeah, nothing stands still for long at all and you have to keep using it to keep up. Adobe reversed the Transform tool operation in PS and I just can’t shake off the fact I don’t need the shift key when resizing. 

My web sites are still down, but my guru in the UK must be waking up soon, probably a server reboot needed

My new website build seems to have ground to a stop, waiting for technical solutions. With a website that sells products, you can create product categories and place products within those categories. You can even place categories within categories, depending on what your selling.

The issue I have is I want to provide both sales categories and content categories together. For example. I can have a Slide show category and within that I can have tutorials for PTE 8, PTE 9, plus the software. I also have a need to post my slide shows and demos and of course it makes sense to keep all the AV stuff together. However, in the test site, not fully on line yet, I can do this, but the content pages don’t display correctly. Meaning any mobile tablet user will not even know those options exist on the menu. 

My guru in the UK has said the menus are not a problem, but the time it’s taking for him to find a solution suggests it is a problem. I haven’t done any work on the new site for a month now which is quite frustrating. My old, current site lists my slide shows on product pages with the buy buttons turned off. I can’t do that with the new site as each slide show page would show a monetary value. Even though I can set that to $0:00, it’s doesn’t look that good and you could still add the product to a shopping cart. Not good.

The other option would mean me creating just a few content pages and linking lots of them together. It’s not very efficient and unprofessional looking