The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Forum issues

I appear to be getting too much traffic on the forum for my shared server and most of that traffic seems  to be guests. Those people that browse the forum, but they don’t necessarily sign up. 

I am getting some heat from my hosting company, who have been good by the way. However they are suggesting a private virtual server and you know what that means. $$$$$$$$$

On the one hand traffic is good, but that traffic does not result in sales on my web site so have may a bit of a dilemma. What I have just done as a trial is to turn off casual browsing on the forum.

it won’t affect any members at all, but casual visitors will have to sign up and I’m guessing most will just move on. Just keeping you all up to speed. I notice that my new shop comes with a forum, but it’s not so polished or slick as this one 

Thanks for letting us know. I was going to add for those guests looking in, it doesn't cost to join and we would welcome your input, plus they could get help or advice if needed. However now you have switched them off they won't see this message!

I was also wondering if some of those guests are actual members logging in from a device that has not been setup with a forum login or password, when they would normally login from another home PC etc.

Well, I’m unsure what to do, a move to a private virtual server will cost me $20 a month. It’s also come at a bad time, because my head is in the complexities of setting up a new website. I could do without this as well 🙄

The guest setting is off already and I’m hoping that will do the trick. I guess I will need a week or so of data to see if it does. I seem to recal that running the forum on the forum creators own web site as opposed to renting your own was about $30 per month

Well, I’ve had notification that the bandwidth issue is solved by shutting off casual visitors. I suppose there are a few ways to look at the issue.

1. You create a web site to get traffic and when it comes you expand. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to prevent people from seeing what I put up here for them to see.

2. The traffic hasn’t materialised in a few more regulars to help give the forum its own impetus. So it could be argued that shutting off casual visitors will not do much damage.

3. I could change the settings to leave open one or two subjects while restricting the others

4. Or  I pay a bit more and take off the brakes, especially with a new web site coming.

I will do that and have been making some effort besides that. It does seem with forums that they have to reach a tipping point. Enough members to just keep a steady flow of information and interest.

The new website is coming along ok, but a bit slower than I would like. The block seems to be mixing product categories and sub categories with content categories.

i can create great product categories, but mixed into those categories I want content too. like slide shows in the Pte category as an example and it seems to be taxing my guru