The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Simulated old Typewriter text/sound

You can tell I don't have much to do this morning. Here's a demo as a result of a post on the wnsoft forum and an email I received today about demonstrating this technique. This sort of thing really needs to be made specifically for the project in mind. Too much of this would soon drive you nuts. (IMHO)

However, it's not a long job to make start to finish, but I did use a couple of Photoshop skills. The short demo here is an a 60p Mp4  You'll need your speaker on of course

Thankyou Barry. A potential great idea for opening a project.

Obviously the key is matching up the typewriter sound to letters appearing on screen, but thinking about the technique, a question about the appearance of the letters.

Did you use just the one background image of the plane and then 16 individual letter png's and then the O&A screen in P2E to sort out timing and appearance, or, produce loads of the background images in Photoshop with each one having another letter appear?

George

I took the easiest route with an image for every letter. In my view not only quicker and easier to create, but easier to put into the slide show. It’s a 20 minute job I would guess. There would be one advantage to using png letters and that is to allow them to be removed from picture, leaving the picture on screen. I tried it with the sound of paper being removed from a typewriter, but it doesn’t look right in the way I created it

in the fullness of time, I would like to make a video of the techniques, because there are some interesting bits, especially for Photoshop users. However, i’m Trying to hold off and put my efforts into tutorials for PTE 10. 

This technique doesn’t really age between versions, but although some users know that,  newer users don’t. Many are reluctant to watch a video for one version of any software, if they have a different version. 

Yes you could use those things. They would work quite well on my Cold War Scrapyard sequence that came about thanks to you. This is an interesting little technique, because when you think about it. This sort of thing is really meant to add something to the AV story your telling. It adds some atmosphere if its done right, but what a fine line we walk in AV circles between naf and wow. One false move and you slip the wrong way. :-)

The timing is easy though, because you only need to time one keystroke. Get that perfect, then it's simply copy and paste. In PicturesToExe you can link one image to a sound file. When you copy and paste that image, the sound file goes along for the ride.

It really is a great program, despite my bias

PS. Did I ever tell you the story of the day we went to the Newark Air Museum in 2014. I nearly blew you off. Can't recall if I told you that story