The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mairi

New Computer

Just bought a Win 10 computer. My 9 year old Win 7 is still working well. I plan to keep it going for old programmes.

I have reinstalled PS CS5 {this is the version I am using and do not plan to upgrade} to the new computer.

Way back in 2008 I used Barry's video tutorials to set up Bridge. I know how to transfer files and folders etc. But how do I transfer Bridge from Win 7 with all of my keywords and collections to the Win10 computer. I'm sure there must be a way using a memory stick, I just need to know which files I need to copy.

Mairi

Surely you would have to reinstall Bridge just like you have CS5. I don’t think you can transfer it, or do you just mean transfer just the keywords and collections. I can’t recall Bridge from CS5, but assuming you do mean keywords and collections. I would be going into those settings and looking for a command like export or save settings.

Having said that, wouldn’t keywords be saved with the image itself and remain even when taken to a new computer?  I am not sure without doing some research, but if they are like raw settings, they are stored in either a sidecar file or the PS database. As your old system is still working, couldn’t you take a dozen images from one PC to the other and check. 

Thinking about collections a little more. Can your screen be exported or saved. We know it can be saved for use on that computer, but taken to another I’m not sure and away from the PC right now to check.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Surely you would have to reinstall Bridge just like you have CS5. I don’t think you can transfer it, or do you just mean transfer just the keywords and collections. I can’t recall Bridge from CS5, but assuming you do mean keywords and collections. I would be going into those settings and looking for a command like export or save settings.

Having said that, wouldn’t keywords be saved with the image itself and remain even when taken to a new computer?  I am not sure without doing some research, but if they are like raw settings, they are stored in either a sidecar file or the PS database. As your old system is still working, couldn’t you take a dozen images from one PC to the other and check. 

Thinking about collections a little more. Can your screen be exported or saved. We know it can be saved for use on that computer, but taken to another I’m not sure and away from the PC right now to check.

Hello Barry,

I will look for an Export command, I'm sure that will be the answer.

I will let you know.

Thanks

MAiri

On 12/29/2018 at 8:22 AM, Morturn said:

I have a feeling that keywords etc are sored with the xmp data, so may just come over with the images. I would copy the files across, install Bridge and see how they look.

You are correct.

I did not think it would be that simple.

Thanks

Mairi