The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Drone Mania

So what are the thoughts of Brits regarding this drone issue at Gatwick. Especially as we plan to visit a store in Brisbane that has them in stock tomorrow.

I’m sure there is always going to some lunatic that will bend the rules, or break them entirely, but it would be particularly risky to be flying a drone over an airport. What point would there be. You can’t show the footage you’ve shot, if that was the reason for flying there as it will quickly result in police officers at your door.

However, this will do enormous damage to genuine law abiding users of drones. Did a 150 people really see a drone over the airport, or did they see something that looked like a drone. I can easily find 150 people who believe they saw a space ship land, but would they shut down an international airport for that reason.

if you can fire frozen chickens into jet engines to test their durability, what would a bit of plastic do. I hate the knee jerk reactions of those who want to ban them. They won’t get their way, but it will make it much harder for those who are law abiding and honest to just go about a bit of landscape photography

The problem here for us these days, is false news or reporting of the issues incorrectly. Often we get radio reports that say one thing and the same report in the next hour, words it slightly differently, with a different meaning. Even the newspapers speculate about what had happened to make it newsworthy. 

So we get, the airport was shut down because of drone sightings. What was not clear initially was if the drone was flown over the runways or just near the airport. So they were right to take some action, just as if they had seen a flock of birds land on the runways. They always check and have measures for this eventuality. However what followed seemed to be overkill for the situation. Leave people on a plane for hours while you sort it out! Call the police to deal with it and they won't shoot it out of the sky because of stray bullets. Why not use rubber bullets? Then we get arrests of two people who only offer to help the police by giving advice of what they know about drones.They call in the Air Force, Army etc. who have equipment that can jam drone electronics and bring them down. Great, get that installed at all airports as soon as possible.

Maybe the drone flying was done to cause disruption, not to take close ups of aircraft landing?

It has made me think twice about getting a drone to shoot Landscapes and I suppose it could be the marketing effect that has caused this problem with many cheap drones available to all. The CAA rules about drones and RC Aircraft should be in the minds of operators and be sensible about use. Of course there is always the minority that spoil it for everyone.

It’s always judgement call when you get incidents like this recent airport fiasco. We have a government minister call for new laws, despite the fact that whoever caused this problem was breaking the law anyway.

There is a quite reasonable drone code that I find easy to adhere to. The Mavic drones will warn you if you try to fly in restricted space and there are some great apps that tell you if it’s safe to fly.

• Drone Buddy
  • Drone Assist
  • B4UFly

Are all good apps to have as well as the DJI Go 4 app.

Therefore, I would still buy a drone. Generally, people are interested when you fly and are quite chatty. There’s always some moron who will want to tell you can’t do this around here. I am in fact considering building one myself with a better camera.

You know you want one, so go and get it. 😉

The plunge has been taken. I picked up the Mavic Pro 2 today with the fly more kit and, a hard and soft case. (the soft case thrown in) a 128G card and also a Smatree charger. You charge the Smatree and it stores power for you to charge Mavic batteries while travelling. It could be used for Phones and pads too. It was offered as part of a kit, so I took the opportunity' Also a three filter polarizing filters set too.

I have managed to get it all hooked up, batteries are charging and tomorrow I will risk a novice flight on the front driveway.

Morturn

That link doesn’t seem to want to work and I’m using my iPhone for now. Been reading about the iPad mini, but to get a feel for the drone I’ll try it with the phone to start.

i haven’t even got as far as seeing the camera view yet, so that is the task for this morning and setting up raw shooting etc.

I have it set on novice mode at the moment.

Tinion.

Thanks, it might not be much of a flight, just close and low to get a feel for the controls.

Turning the drone and controller on and off was was my first issue. The guide is written so small I never saw the double press, so every time I pressed the button it came on and then went off. Getting the hang of it now and can see that you wouldn’t want power it off accidentally. I watch a video, but the guy just said turn on both and allow hem to connect, but I couldn’t get them to stay on and he didn’t elaborate about the on procedure. I’ll take things slow and steady.

Try cut and pasting the link or maybe not avalible in Australia.

If i recall correclty, update the firmware first in on the drone and controller. You then may need to do calibration, I did this on my desktop. Set it to novice and go fly. It will hover if you take your hands off the sticks, so as long as you dont crash into anything (like I did) its easy.... Great fun too.

Tried cut and paste on iPad and PC, but something is wrong somewhere. I have watched a couple of Youtube videos yesterday that took you through all the settings. I still need to go through those settings today, but I see your point. There is a lot on YouTube, but some of these people still miss stuff out and make the assumption that the viewer knows this already.

You need two presses to power on the craft and it does say this on a quickstart guide, but its a document 4*3 inches with such small writing I needed a magnifying glass to see that. You press once and then press and hold. Until I got frustrated and got the magnifying glass I was pressing and holding as you do with many other things these days. The light came on, but of course it went off again.

Small things that will become second nature in time.

Morturn.

When in the map view in the app on the phone, which looks really useful, there is an option to touch the screen and what looks like a tethered balloon appears. I watched lots of videos on maps, but no one has said what this does.

is it simply a marker for personal use or something else. Any ideas?

I also just plugged the Mavic  into my iPad Pro. That’s impressive with the big screen. I used a USB to the controller and a USBc to the iPad. It’s Easy to see the settings on that size screen.

First main outing down to Bells Creek, although too many wires down there so we found somewhere a bit more open for a test flight. All went well, got it up to maximum height and tested the home button. Took a few snaps and a little video, but will look at that tomorrow now. Unless impatience gets the better of me tonight. 

No dramas, got onto the second battery. Controls all OK, apart from when the drone is flying towards you and the guidance toggles are reversed. I’ll soon get used to that and think before I manoeuvre. For those not understanding this. It’s like a radio controlled car, as it’s coming towards you if you want it to go to your left you have to turn the steering wheel right.

Makes like a little interesting

We are thinking of a road trip down the East Coast and then by boat to Tasmania. Taking the car and all our gear down there. That should provide some picture opportunities, if we make it

Our Tasmania trip is taking shape. My personal tour organiser (you know who) has started making bookings so we are off around the middle of February. It's a 1100k trip to Sydney, another 1000k to Melbourne, then a 9 hour boat trip with the car to Tasmania. We are allowing a 10 day trip down, stopping two nights in each place. We think we will be on Tassie for 3 weeks, then on the trip back we can make that as fast or as slow as we want.

We're not into marathon car journeys anymore, that's why we are allowing 10 days to get to Melbourne and the port. 

Have you been before Barry? It can stand a re-visit anyway, lot to see in Tassie and not the huge distances between as in most of the other states.

Don't miss the Mona. Take the ferry up the Derwent River and approach it from the water.The art is pretty outrageous but the building is an amazing structure. When I was there a couple of years ago they actually let you take photographs and I kicked myself for not taking my camera in with me.

Hope you and Carol have a wonderful trip, look forward to seeing some of your pics.

Joan.

We haven’t been there before. We have travelled the East Coast down to Melbourne before, but things are always different, but Tassie will be new territory. New places are always good for inspiration.

One disappointment with the Mavic Pro 2 is that you cannot rotate the camera to portrait mode as you can with the original Mavic Pro. This is what I wanted to do for panoramas shot  in raw, because with the panos  from my sons Mavic Pro, Photoshop could not stitch them for some reason. I got better results with portrait mode and manual shots. (the Mavics all have auto pano modes)

Its not insurmountable, but it means the images are shot in two rows rather than one. Unless of course I can find a way to stitch raw auto pano images myself. The Mavic will take a lot of images and automatically stitch them, but as jpegs. I don’t want to give up that Raw latitude