The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

The Problem with Audio Visual

The biggest negative issue with audio visual are the audio visual creators themselves and I'm not pointing the finger here. I'm placing myself right in the middle where the fault lies.  We get an idea, that idea starts the creative juices flowing and then we then lose all our common sense as a creative fog descends over our senses and shuts out the voices of our better angels.

The angels that are shouting:  This sequence is twice the length it should be. Those images are just not good enough. That music is just not setting the scene. But, we don't hear those angels because we are on a mission and now the only goal is to complete our mission. We are unaware that a creative fog has descended over our senses and if we were an aircraft, we would be way off course. We would be flying towards the mountains and not even know it.

We all know about the possibility of this, but we fall prey to it anyway and a few sequences I have seen lately could be used as examples, but I can use one of my own. A few years ago I made a sequence from an idea I had where the images would be montages. The montages would build up in individual slides and my idea was the show would be constantly moving. Rebuilding my website in the past weeks and preparing slide shows to be posted I came across the sequence called "Another Age"

I played it and after a short time I wondered what possessed me to do what I had done and I hit the escape key. It's not a good sign if you can't bear to watch your own slideshow. I had used 66 images and the sequence was 7 minutes long. The whole thing was slow and boring, the fades were far too long and drawn out and the music while OK wasn't adding much, but at the time I was delighted with it. It has taken a few years for my creative fog to lift, but now I could clearly see that the whole thing was a disaster. Not the idea so much, but the creation of it. 

I set about doing something about it and found some period music on YouTube that I felt added something to the atmosphere of the images. I threw out around 15 images, adjusted the opening title and re-synchronized the images to a bit of music just 2:40 in length. What a difference, it's now a little over a third of the original show length.

If I can recognise my own shortcomings with regard to creating audio visual I could certainly use some honest feedback, but that's something I rarely get. So, who wants to have a go and really say what they think. Have I redeemed this or is it time to shrug and move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHZv1qPHyKg&t=37s

Edited with a new link 4th Jan 2019

That worked for me, quite quirky and different. I can easily imagine it not working if it was any longer, so cutting it down was most certainly the right thing to do.

I don’t like the picture frame, I found it distracting. Unfortunately, I can offer no alterative suggestion other than I would like to see it completely without and see how that looks.

I take your point and agree with you regarding audio visual creators themselves can be the problem and have seen this on several occasions. However, who are we intending to please, or to what end? It’s all amateur work done by people who love audio visual stuff and want to be a bit creative. Maybe fishing for some complement.

For most, its not a way of earning a living, it just a hobby that gets published to a wide audience.

It’s called maturing with age and experience. 

In 10 year’s time you’ll both probably look back at the sequences you are no doubt about to produce with your new drone toys, and say what a load of ............

Hopefully not.

Regards

wideangle

Morturn

Yes, I think your right about the frame. Because the show was made pre HD days, it looks small now and that does date it a bit.  I wondered if a frame would big it up a bit, but after a few views I think your right. It has to go.

Wideangle

Drone Toys, Really? I just see it as a camera on stilts rather than a toy. Personally I have no wish to fly a drone for just the fun of flying, mainly because they fly themselves. There's hardly much skill involved in flying. Its capturing great images without crashing is where the skill lies, or the common sense. Many people seem to describe drones as toys to put down the owners, as we constantly saw with that Gatwick issue recently. I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across like that.

I see it as a 20MP camera I can into places I could never go. I can shoot raw, make panos and record 4k video. 

Apologies Barry - not intentional from a personal point of view.

I must say however, that when you hear many people talk about drones, they see them in the same light as caravans, the scourge of the roads and countryside, which is unfortunate. The trouble is, mud sticks - once labelled, always labelled.

A latest incident here was that the Severn Bridge (I think it was) was recently closed for a time because somebody had climbed up one of the towers to fly a drone. 

Regards

wideangle

There is a call here to ban BBQ cleaners, those with spikes, because a man almost choked when one got into his food. 

Someone flies a Drone or does something illegally and the call is always to ban it. I have a much better idea for all the idiots who want to ban everything that they don’t approve of. If we really are concerned about safety and accidental death and we are all so caring, we should ban cars first. Save millions over time. Then dogs, they kill, and boats, and cycles, especially motor cycles. Then snowboarders and skiers. 

‘When you take this banning nonsense further it’s easy to see how pathetic it is and that’s if we can believe what we read. Life has risks and what idiot would want to climb a bridge to fly a drone. It’s designed so you don’t have to do that, so it wasn’t really a drone issue as all, but a Moron issue 😂

I have an even better idea, let’s imprison Morons and I get to select who is a Moron 👍

I think you’re on to a good idea there with the banning. It would solve all our NHS problems as well! As for the bridge incident, just bring the drone down and make the guy stay up there - some cold weather is due soon. 

Regards

wideangle

I read an account today sent to me by my daughter, where a picture of Steven Spielberg posed alongside one of the prehistoric animals on the Jurassic Park set was posted for a lark on some animal rights forum with a caption that he was a hunter having killed the animal

People went nuts and wanted something done about him killing animals. If ever we need reminding we live among university educated Morons this article is it 😃

Really enjoyed your remake of 'Another Age' Barry though I didn't see the original as far as I can remember. The music was ideal, the length just right, the montages appealing and, unlike Morturn, I didn't find the frame distracting. Seemed to fit with the subject . Thanks for the you tube link.

Bit late with this but I wish all forum members a happy and healthy new year (think I may be giving away my age there and revealing my changing priorities).

regards,

joan

Joan 

Thanks for the comment and happy new year to you too. That show was made some time ago now and the size of it is small compared to those we make now. I also never kept the original montages, so I can't increase the size. I thought a frame might make it look a bit more impressive, but I agree with Morturn. I had my own doubts before he said anything and his comment just confirmed what I was thinking myself.

I don't make a habit of remaking old slide shows, but while building a new web site and waiting for my web guru in the UK to get his finger out, I was/am at a loose end.