The Beckham Digital Forum
Barry

MS Office 365

I took the plunge and bought Office 365 today. My old word program is being left behind by technology I think and it was a cheap and cheerful product when I bought it years ago. I also wanted to move up to the Outlook email client, ready for an upgrade to  W10. We are now experiencing a few minor irritations with Windows 7. The cynic in me suggests that this is a cunning plan to force the remaining W7 users to upgrade. If that is the plan, then it’s working. 

I can install Office 365 on 5 computers, which is more than enough for us and it’s around $125 per year. Given the use we both get out of it, it seems a reasonable deal to me. I do love the way these programs from the cloud install. Click the download and walk away. Like Photoshop it does the rest and no slower than installing from a disk.

I’ve been meaning to get around to this for about a year. While I have a bit of time on my hands waiting for my web guru in the UK to sort out the menus on my new site, I took the plunge.  The part I wasn’t looking forward to was migrating emails and contacts from Live mail.

it wasn’t straight forward, but we managed it

I bought (hired?) 365 a couple of months ago, mainly because I used Windows Mail for e-mails;  this hadn't been supported for several years and Outlook seemed a good replacement. My Word and Excel versions were about 10 years old and beginning to cause some difficulties so replacements seemed in order. The new package seems fine but it does mean learning several new programs at the same time - I'm still struggling with Outlook.

Well worth doing I think.

Paul

I think the key to learning new software is patience. We get used to where everything is with out old software and we want to get back to that position with new software over a weekend. It ain’t going to happen. I am more relaxed these days and I allow the knowledge to build up gradually. Cramming just doesn’t work for me and as long as I get the new software running, I allow time to fill in the blanks. 

The thing is, we know an option is bound to be in there somewhere, it’s just finding it 😀 

I too wanted to migrate to Outlook and I must say it’s darn good for setting up emails. I was surprised to find that the email address and password is all I needed. Windows live isn’t like that at all. 

However it’s all up and running on all our PC’s and working ok. It would be great if you could set everything up on one computer and then sync it to others over wi-fi