The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lithman34

sync for hard drives.

I will have completed my move by the end of the month, where my internet will be much better. My question is,  I store all my images on two separate hard drives. Is there an easy way to sync, any changes I make to my images on one hard drive with the other without having to do it manually. I have an old sync program at the moment,  but I spend my life checking my backup drive to find that changes have not been made.

Personally I like to do this myself and would need to build up a lot of trust before I relaxed enough to allow a computer to take over. I am guessing here, but I can see how some people may have some difficulty with this subject, if they lose track of what has been backed up and what has not.

There used to be systems that backed up certain folders and added what was different, I am sure there still are, but I've chosen not to use them. I store all finished images in folders under the dates of year and month. When I back them up. It's easy to see where I'm up to. I open the from drive located on the PC and the external to drive located off the PC and compare the folders. Then backup to drive A and then drive B.

I use a Network Attached Server (NAS) device to do this automatically. It holds two hard drives that are set to be mirrored with each other (RAID 1).

These NAS devices are not all that expensive compared with he cost of cloud storage and reasonably easy to set up.

Only yesterday I bought 2 new 3 Gig Sata drives for Raw image backup use via an EZSTOR. The internal Sata drives slot into the EZSTOR cassette and act like a very large USB stick. I label them A and B and that will take all my images for quite a while.

ezstor.jpg