The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Laptops for Sale

I bought a W7 laptop about 6 years ago, and paid a fair bit for it, but a year or so ago it just got slower and slower. I returned it to factory spec twice, but it really doesn’t make any difference.  It’s old I know. Our club bought a similar model around the same time and I picked that up for a song when they got a new one.

I hoped it would be better than mine, but it’s just the same. I’ve lived with it for a year or so as I don’t do many demos now. It took 15 minutes to boot up, settle and open Outlook tonight. It’s had all the crap software removed from the system and tonight the penny finally dropped that they have both had it. Or, I’ve had it with them. They can’t be upgraded to W10, but I’m not sure that would help anyway

As we are planning some travel, I need some way to store images and get access to my websites while away. So, reluctantly I might have to buy another one and throw these two in the bin. That’s more of the kids inheritance gone 😁 

Perhaps they may have some value to someone somewhere, just for browsing perhaps, but little else. I’d have little confidence in either one to do a PS demo.

Both laptops are in pristine condition, not a mark on them, yet they frustrate the hell out of me. Once you experience SSD’s there’s no going back

Put an SSD in them, it’s quite remarkable how much of an improvement they make. I was about to chuck my W7 laptop out as it was getting embarrassing when doing talks, taking ages.

It’s a quick and easy fix, so shame I’m in the UK coz I would do it.

It’s an interesting idea, but there are still the W7 issues. I have a number of annoying issues with programs on W7, that I don’t on W10. With Google Chrome using a graphics tablet I can’t click and highlight text for example. I can’t highlight an image to create a link on my web site either. The wife’s Pc was the same, but after her upgrade to W10 it’s fine, as are all the other bugs. If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say Windows are leaving these issues as an encouragement to upgrade.

The laptops graphics cards are not upgradable to W10, I checked that a years or so ago and they only have one drive. Our new club laptop has a SSD and a storage drive too. 

Well I am not a chrome user, so not help here. Have you tryed any of the utility programmes like Glary Unilitys or Using Cleaner. They are good at tidying up probpems fromaccumilated crud.

Most certaly my laptop is amazing now.

But they don’t have crud on them. Both have been back to factory spec and are not used to browse the net or do general work. In comparison to my desktop, their babies still 😁

Neither of these laptops were this slow when purchased and if you take them back to factory they are ok for a while until you do a fewWindows Updates, then they grind to a halt, but you have to do the updates or some programs won’t run.

Like Morturn I use Glary utils and CCleaner regularly on both my laptop and Desktop, and they do a good job at keeping them up to speed.

A couple of years ago I switched both of them to SSD, and that made a huge difference.

Regards

wideangle

Just a side issue.

Will there be a good internet connection wherever you go?

If you are going to use Photoshop and you are on a monthly account you will need to Log In from time to time and it will probably hit you when you are out of range of a broadband connection.

I don't know what your experience is but I know a lady who spends a long time away on photo trips and gets a REAL problem with it.

DG

That was an interesting video, but after a night and a day to calm down. I will stay with this old laptop for our trip and live with the slowness for now.  We are too close to going away to start thinking of buying another laptop right now. Thinking about it more carefully it would probably be a bit hasty.

It has to be an operating system issue, but it’s no error as I had this on two laptops. If you boot it and then launch Outlook, 9or any other program) it can takes a couple of minutes or longer to appear. So long, you think it’s not going to launch at all.

Once the programs have been launched once, they can be closed and will reopen at normal speed. It’s just that first launch of any program on both laptops

That has to be a known problem that someone is deciding to do nothing about. It’s gone on too long. 

On my main PC, which I have bought a W10 disk for, but not yet installed. I have issues with Bridge that Abobe technicians can’t solve, Explorer, Wacom, Chrome and one or two other irritations.

While working on this  new website and this close to going away, I didn’t want to rush into the install. I’d like to do a clean one when we get back. But W7 does need to go