The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Feb 2019 - Newsletter and Videos

A quick google search found these in New Zealand, but even then there is disparity.

Simplifying the points leaves it easier for a judge to say an image falls in one camp or the other, but widens the gap of each award. Notice they try not to put %age weighting to one award or another. I agree you get used to the scoring system 1 to 10 or 20, but using this method is going to have a lot of people at the end of the year on the same points, if they are high level photographers. The competition secretary should have been able to explain the scoring and allow an entry or a pass to be awarded.50793112_greymouthnz.thumb.png.892be3a51bf6167a94ecddaa7b577a1b.png

Greymouth NZ

436653278_Nelsoncameraclubnz.thumb.png.9252bd47778e65a987610dda82480a5d.png

Nelson Camera Club NZ

1420745599_Aucklandnzps1.thumb.png.94d10d1af794919004eba49dfccdb14e.png

Auckland Photographic Society NZ

1738066322_Aucklandnzps2.thumb.png.55be4be26f902c8850d52427544c6fb0.png 

Auckland Photographic Society NZ

Not very inclusive though is it. Most of that we could work out and the scores are what individual clubs give for those awards and that varies from club to club.

If someone who has been around clubs for nearly 50 years is a bit confused by the system, there can only be two possible causes,

That "someone" is as thick as two planks 😢

The system is confusing 😃

You don't have to answer that 😄

You would think that the club in question would have something about it on their web site too. They don’t because that’s the first place I looked. If they didn’t, you would expect the governing body to have it, but they don’t either.

Still, it does give me some fun when I ask people to explain it to me. 😂

I enjoyed the newsletter, thank you. My interest was drawn to the section on Buzz filters and the simplifier you recently used. I do like the subtle dream like look, it reminds me of the Orton effect. I believe that this was developed in the 80’s by taking two slide images, one correctly exposed and the other slightly over exposed and out of focus. These two images were then combined and printed.

Done well the print had a very subtle dream like quality with a warm glow on the highlights. I do quite like a surreal image and the opportunity to experiment. Of course, this can now be done in photoshop using layers and filters and blending modes.

Another interesting newsletter Barry and watching one of the videos on You Tube I noticed another of your videos on Editing Audio in PTE. Very helpful. Thankyou.

I can add nothing enlightening to the matter of scoring in competitions!

The simplifier filters can be applied very lightly or quite heavy and best done at the size this image is required. Not a great idea to apply it to a high res image, then reduce the image size. Do the size first.

Thanks, Barry.  That scoring system is interesting.

At our club we mark out of 10 - although judges rarely give less than a six.  (To be fair, we rarely get "bad" images entered.)
I'd take 6-10 as being Below Average, Average, Good, Very Good and Excellent.

If I had to translate that into the system you described I think I'd be reserving "Entry" for any that get less than 6, "Acceptance" as being 6 or 7, "Merit" as being 8 or 9 and "Honour being 10.  Having 80% of images get the same rating is clearly pointless!

The club asking you to judge on that basis should have explained their requirements beforehand - it must have been frustrating to have it explained that "Entry" is never used after you'd done the work.

Frustrating, but more due to the fact that my fellow man and women seem to want protecting against any slight disappointment . So much so that we are all happy to accept absolute  BS. Like how a man can magically turn into a women.

Logic suggests that with a score of 1-10. 5 must be average. I would consider 6 as competent, but without saying much