The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Executable or Mp4 Video?

I’ve never really understood all this about something being a codec, or just a container for holding a codec, so maybe someone can help clarify. Am I right in assuming that mp4 is a container with the mp4 codec?

I think I have read that it can be used with the H.264 codec and more recently with the H.265 codec which are supposedly far more efficient in terms of compression than previously. 

So does mp4 vary depending on what codec is used with it, or am I just not understanding things?

Regards

wideangle

I’ve no idea to be honest. I take a different view of life and while some like to debate these technicalities for hours, I prefer to get on and create something. Why would I buy software and still have to have detailed knowledge of what it’s doing. I have never bothered to be honest, I just want it working.

I trust the manufacturers of PTE to create the best video possible and now that it meets my needs, I’m happy with that and to share my findings.

It’s just that I couldn’t understand whether mp4 was actually a constant standard or whether it varied, depending on what codec was used within it, as I don’t really know enough about it either!

I’ve just noticed a new thread on the PTE website where someone is saying that an mp4 with an h.265 codec won’t work with PTE. 

Regards

wideangle

Why worry. PTE are never going to make Mp4 production worse and in my view it’s already good. This is a very broad generalisation, but don’t you notice that those wrapped up in the technical side of software rarely produce anything.

Personally I tend to have more confidence. With practical use, rather than technical theory

I am away from home so a bit of a captive audience, but even then I only managed to get half way through the video. I admit that I bailed out around halfway. Just too much detail for me. 

None whatsoever 😀 I think we humans have a lot of capacity, but you can’t have it all. You either use up your capacity with technicalities, or you channel them into the creative side and let someone else worry about the technicalities. 

It’s very rare to find both in the same person and most of us find a happy medium I think. When you try and teach this topic of photography/AV you’re better off staying as far from technical as it’s possible to get, while still covering the subject. 

Anyway, it’s always the end result we get, not how we got there or with what that’s important 😀