The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Tasmania Trip

Tomorrow we start our road trip South towards Tasmania. First stop for two nights is Coffs Harbour in New South Wales about 500k

Map View 

That is a fair distance and it will take us about half way to Sydney. 

Day One - and we arrived at Coffs Harbour (500k) after a journey time of around 6 hours. Stopped for lunch and as we got out the car, the heat hit us, it was 40C+. Wow it was hot, especially when you get out of an air conditioned car you have been in for 4 hours. The heat overwhelms you for a minute or two, but that was because we were well Inland at that point. It’s down to about 26C now at 5pm and we are at the coast.

Sitting in an air conditioned cabin, Just trying to decide if I will collapse in the chair with a book and a beer, or go down the beach for sunset pictures. Sunset is 2 hours away around 7.30. We lost an hour of time today too. NSW is 1 hour ahead of Queensland.

I want my hour back😀

Day Two - What a change in the weather. This morning it was 23C cloudy and forecast for the day. So, we headed for the Dorrigo Mountains and the forests inland. Spent a lazy 5 hours touring around the Range much of it on little used forest tracks and a nice slow speed.

Taken a few pictures, nothing spectacular and managed to get the drone airborne at the top. Again, I don’t expect anything spectacular, but it added a little to the drone experience. It doesn’t take long to eat into a drone battery, but I have the gadget that allows me to charge from a power pack while out. That has to be kept charged too of course, but it soon replaced the charge in that battery I used. That could come in useful while travelling. It could extend my 3 batteries to 4 or even 5. 

The temperatures at the top of the mountain was only 16C, quite a difference from the 41C yesterday. Managed to record Bell Birds in the forest. A magical sound if you have never heard it, but I used sound memo on the iPhone and it doesn’t allow me to export it. I’ll have to wait and see if I can record it from the iPhone to the laptop, or PC when we get home.

Tomorrow we set off for Mt Hutton, which is just North of Sydney. It’s about 400k from here, so not so far as our first leg.

As you can see below I managed to get the Bell Birds (audio only) into a video and onto this forum

Day Three - Arrived at Mt Hutton, which isn’t a real mountain, just one of those names that gets used for a location. We are about 2k from Lake McQuarrie and after arriving we took a short right along the lake edge. We are on the Eastern side, so the right side if the evening turned into a lovely sunset.

The trouble is, it’s been a sunny day with clear blue skies right up to sunset. So although I look the cameras and drone out for a ride in the car. That was all they got, a ride in the car. 

Still, you can’t win them all. We have a full day here tomorrow, so we’ll take a look around and see what photo opportunities we can find. The trouble is the older I get, the more fussy I become with what I choose to shoot. 

Day Four - We are on the East side of Lake McQuarrie. It’s actually a very large Lake, bigger in area than Sydney Harbour I read. It’s a lovely place, but being 125k from Sydney the shoreline in many places is lined with housing. Great if you live here, not so great if you’re a photographer trying to get to the shoreline. It’s right on the coast too, so visitors are spoiled for choice here.

We had a leisurely drive around the Lake today and managed to take a few pictures. I found a few areas that I thought the drone could be flown, but on getting to that spot, we found lots of housing and being a Saturday reasonably busy. I took a quick 

pic on the iPhone just to add here. 

Tomorrow we head off to Kangeroo Valley, which is about 290k further South. This will take us South of Sydney and we are staying about 40k inland from the sea. It’s another 2 night stay in a Cabin and these short hops are what we need at our age. Apparently  Kangeroos are common around the Cabins. Always nice to see them.

1CC28507-46BC-4ACA-B8DF-DFBD2A3A84E5.jpeg

Day Five - Spent the day taking the slower more scenic route to Kangeroo Valley. Although the journey was only 300k, we had to go through and under Sydney (toll tunnel) so in fact we spent most of the day travelling.

The Roos are here, but didn’t show themselves till dusk. The internet connection is almost non existent here. Tried to post a picture and a frog chorus from outside the cabin, but it can’t manage those, just text.

Not much photography done today and I had hoped to get the drone up here. On arrival and checking the app, Can I Fly Here, red rings appeared all over the map, even way out in the ocean and that 40k away. Must be a military area or something, but with a poor connection on the phone, perhaps trying a flight here, even if it was allowed would be risky with such a weak connection.

Day Six - Not many photo opportunities today. Just a little video shot with the Canon 5D Mk 4 in the late afternoon. I was surprised that the cable release does not start the video when in video mode and you don’t seem to have control of iso in video mode. I was just shooting 20 second clips for use in projects later in the year, but it all worked nicely anyway.

Tomorrow, we have a long leg to Albury, which is about 450k. No cities to get through and it should be a good drive through the Australian Countryside. There is no internet in the cabin, so we are having to use the iPhone as a hot spot, but the signal for the phone is very weak too. It seems to be a little better in the evening, but it should be much better at Albury tomorrow.

The same issues we talked about with the drone. I should be fine with what I shot as it as mostly low light, but I must remember to put my video hat on next time and do that.

Day Seven - Made great progress on a long stretch of our trip. Just short of 500k in under 6 hours and that included a lunch stop. We were just fortunate that we had a 110 kph motorway nearly all the way to Albury. We are now right on the state line between New South Wales and Victoria, but well inland away from the coast. The ocean looks to be about 300k from her at the closest point.

Had a short ride out this evening and in fact crossed into Victoria briefly, but couldn’t find anything much to photograph. It’s been clear blue skies all day, which is a little monotonous for photography unless you can use that low glancing light just before sunset. This is great country for landscapes, but as you all know, we need that special light to lift them from ordinary to something better. 

At the moment the weather is perfect if you want a tan 😁 Hopefully tomorrow may be different, but if not, we’ll still take a ride out and enjoy the day.

Day Eight - Went out late in the afternoon for a drive and tried to time it so we were in going the right direction at sunset. However, we’ve had another day of clear blue skies with  not a cloud in site all day. That does not make for great evening light.

Found a spot to get the drone up and checked the flight app. Once again I got NO FLY ZONE warning due to being within 5.5k of a heliport. One we got further out I managed to take a flight over the edge of Lake Hume. Its badly in need of water, but the shots looked ok on the screen.   Mostly stills as I couldnt see any great advantage of video. 

‘Took a second flight and tried my first automatic Mavic shot pano, but I won’t see the result of that till we get home. Shot in raw so I hope I can stitch the shots together using Adobe Camera Raw. Had to bring the drone down after the pano when a Sea Eagle flew overhead. I’ve heard of drones being taken down by birds and I was in its territory, so I brought it back sharpish.

Tomorrow we have a trip of around 300k to St Kilda in Melbourne. That puts us a few minutes from the boat terminal to Tasmania.

Day Nine - Doesn’t time fly when your having fun. We’re now in St Kilda Melbourne, about 2000k from home, but there is already 2700k on the trip meter. We do lots of touring while away.

Been away for 9 days and still can’t report that I’ve been able to capture some blinding photos. The weather, skies and light have been against me 🙁 But, it has to change soon...I hope. Our apartment for 2 nights at St Kilda is a good one with a view of the city too, but had problems getting the key and access to the underground car park. I would give you all a laugh with the saga, but it would take too much typing.

Here is view from our main room when we arrived. It was cloudy over the city when we got here, but by sunset, we had clear blue skies again. Oh how I used to wish for more of those when I lived in the UK, now I have them by the bucket load and wish for some cloud and rain. What a funny old world.

No plans for tomorrow, we’ll see how we feel when we get up. We are right on the edge of the city, so it’s pretty busy on the roads, but traffic thins out when you get out past the commuter belt. 

8AE93C56-641D-46A8-A8AF-3E61141708B1.jpeg