The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

12. Creating the Wow value

I have created a new set of 6 videos (3hrs+) and a presentation on creating the Wow value in Photoshop Creative Cloud. Watch my introduction video below, of via YouTube. You can purchase the Videos HERE. Download time for them all on a standard ADSL is under 10 minutes

Hi Barry,

I am enjoying this set of excellent tutorials as usual.  Great value for money.  I note that in the first tutorial you have done quite a lot of editing in ACR rather than in PS.  This is fine.  No reason not to do this.  But there are subtle differences between the ACR accessed from Bridge and that used in Lightroom and I think you state that the methods you describe are applicable to both.  Yes what you can do in ACR you can also do in the Lightroom version but the process is slightly different.  See the attached images which show that the controls for the adjustment brush are just sufficiently different  perhaps to cause someone to be a bit puzzled as to why they cannot follow your exact method for masking the bird. The ACR adjustment brush has a specific mask feature which you select whereas the Lightroom version uses the "O" key to reveal the mask.

ACR Brush

ACR Brush.jpg

Lightroom Brush

Lightroom Brush.jpg

i think if someone was following a tutorial at that level, they should able to make those sorts of jumps from PS to LR, but you're right some people do need every step.

Then again, it was billed as a PS tutorial :)

Barry

Not had much time to commend you on the Creating the Wow Value tutorials… These tutorials are a must for all like myself who wish to get the most out of our images and work towards creating the wow value. I am going through the tutorials slowly but surely to understand and remember the fine tuned techninqes you use-_- 

Thank you Barry for giving me the time to assure and advise me with working through the Expose to the Right tutorial. You have helped a great deal:)

I have said this before on the forum, Barry’s tutorials always work and this set of tutorials are exceptional:rolleyes:

Thank you

Thank you Doreen, I do try and one person here can vouch for that. She says I am very trying 

I haven't done a great deal of photography lately, had a few other projects on the go, but I notice today Photoshop 2017 came down the pipe.

Not even had a chance to look at it yet.

I have one here thats very trying too:mellow:

Came back from Scotland last night.. I am just in the middle of sorting the images on the computer before I have visitors for a few days.. I took on board what you were saying about the histogram, times of day and camera techniques also back button focusing, It was a practise with the new camera holiday:D ( well thats what I called it ). I will be happy if I have a handful of good images. Huh my first few are in the bin,  forgot I set the camera for back button focusing, so those are dreadfully out of focus, think I'm going backwards sometimes:blink: running out of memory.

Now we got Photoshop 2017 coming down the pipe:ph34r:

Well, don't worry too much about Photoshop 207, it won't fundamentally change and if there is anything in it that helps us to get better images, at some stage I will find it and share it.

just keep on doing what your doing, but the time to try new things like the back focus button is not when your about to shoot someone's wedding. 

Perhaps the back button could have come later, treat the entire photographic process as a one step at a time learning process and don't overwhelm yourself. However, seeing as you have set the back button,  have you got used to it yet. It took me a little while and even now first time back to the camera after a few weeks and I press the wrong button, fail to hear the bleep and am reminded I am pressing the wrong button. Old habits die hard

Thank you Barry for sharing (2017)

After a couple of days I had got used to the back button.. hoping when I pick up the camera again I can remember.. don't think I would be too happy if it was a wedding:o

Guess I am a little too hard on myself sometimes wanting to do it all at the same time. I am still in the learning process of the new camera. it is a little different to the Canon Mark 11, I am getting there. I find photography and photoshop have been as difficult as learning to use a computer, it never ends because there is always some thing new to learn.

I have often heard people say that they can't be doing with computers especially when asked for their email.. my sister is one. I find photography and photoshop in the same category. It is difficult because you can't learn these subjects overnight.. so then some will never try:( As you say treat the entire photographic process as a one step at a time learning process and don't overwhelm yourself.. It is very true and we must remember this to go forward:rolleyes:

If it was easy and despite what we say, we would lose interest. It's challenges that give humans that drive. I still find it all inspiring after all these years.

I am lucky to have been around Photoshop when Most were saying it's all a passing fad and trying to get digital banned in their camera club. So, my learning curve has been more gradual than most.

We would loose interest Barry. The easier the subject/topic the boring it becomes. I have never become bored with photoshop but I have struggled a little with photography, the reason being studying photoshop for years at college without photography.  Never knew nothing of raw files until Roy learnt me from one of your tutorial discs. This was the same time I got interested in the SLR cameras. Roy learnt me a lot about photography.

Although I am struggling with photography this in turn makes it that challenge to keep me inspired to progress, there is so much to learn.

You have been so lucky to have learnt photography with photoshop being the next step.

Hope this makes sense:unsure:

Yes it does. Humans do not value anything that is easy to achieve and it's the learning that we actually find stimulating most of the time, even when we don't admit it.

I have always felt that we treat people like Eric Clapton, Mike Oldfield, and Mark Knopfler as something special because they are three of the best guitarists in the world. The top of the tree and we covert their music because it's special and also because they have a recognised style. Well, they do if you like music.

imagine if by some magic we could spend a week practicing and play like Clapton. Overnight his music and ours would lose all value. Same thing with Photoshop, Lightroom and others. Yes you can learn what slider does what, but that's not enough is it? 

We have to try and become the Clapton of the Photographic world and we will fail a lot of the time, but it's fun trying :D

Much of the time, I feel many amateurs are far too timid with their image editing and only ever get 60-70% of the way

It is true musicians like Eric Clapton, Mike Oldfield and Mark Knopfler have something very special. They have got their unique recognised style, I’m sure through passion and hard work have given them their success of how they perform today. I have been a big fan of Jimi Hendrix, always thought he was the best in the world, from his first recordings to his last recordings and live performances on videos he became untouchable. We have to learn from these great musicians. I’m sure they failed some of the time and had some great fun trying too, but came back with their wow value except for Hendrix that is:( He was advanced before his time and gave inspiration for all to follow.

To sum up I think photography without photoshop and or image editing is like playing the guitar or any instrument without a beat or timing, everything is out of sync:o.

I agree that many amateurs are far too timid with their image editing, maybe like I have been they don’t know how to. This is why you do a great job learning us with your tutorials,  I want to get the image I saw when I took it and try to get some impact. I am getting there.

Thank you again for the Creating the Wow Value tutorials. I am half way through, taking it slowly to learn. The camera craft tutorial is excellent too:).

Jimi Hendrix Live

https://youtu.be/cJunCsrhJjg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this