The Beckham Digital Forum
Barry

June 2017 Newsletter

Ok, I have put the date right, but I wonder what the world will be like then? Tell you what, lets meet up then and pop back for a look. :P

Good idea... it'll be your turn to get the drinks in. 

5 things I may have done by 2917.

1. Mastered Image taking and editing.

2. Cancelled my subscription to Adobe.

3. Reached 166 likes on the forum.

4. Created a decent AV.

5. Retired from work and found more time to go out taking Images.

they all sound do-able, but something tells me they won't be achieved even by then. 

Come on Beckhamforumites what are your 5 actions you will do by 2917?   

Thought I’d join in Denis, there is sixth one but I decided to sort it in August 29th 2017. Cancelled my subscription plan from Adobe:o

•   Take an image without looking at my notes on the iPhone:lol:
  •   Shoot that wow image and put it in the bag:unsure:
  •   See a Mac version of PTE^_^
  •   Pay no more expensive upgrades for Proshow:wacko:
  •   Sort the colossal amount of photography & photoshop mags stored over the years:ph34r:

Nice one Doreen, I was beginning to think no one was up for the challenge. I think I may be attempting a few of your list as well. One way to sort your mags is to take them along to a local photography club and offer them for free, usually they are gone in a couple of weeks, especially if they have the discs with them. As we know, we only really need Barry's reasonably priced tutorials. Does it sound like you will be trying Topaz Studio then, if you are not subscribing to Adobe?

Thank you Denis

hmm my decision to cancel Adobe has been on my mind for a while. This is my main image editor I’ve use from I think Photoshop 4. I never use lightroom, never see the sense using both. I have downloaded the free Topaz studio and purchased topaz impression and textures, these filters I play with occasionally. They would never be my image editor alone. 

I would think differently about the cancelation if I hadn’t bought Adobe photoshop 2,4 and 5 upgrades at a high price, maybe I could tolerate 120.00 pound yearly if I was a new user. I have given it a lot of thought and studied my purchased copy of cs5 and PScc side by side and decided for what I do and want CS 5 meets my needs and a play around with topaz is all I want. 

After my cancelation Adobe sent an email about my decision in a questionnaire I ticked the too expensive button.. never know it may come down in price in the year 2917:D

You have a good idea for my mags hopefully before 2917… Barry’s tutorials are far more understandable, don’t tell him though, the wall may have to come down:P

Doreen

I don't know what your camerea of choice is but if it's Canon you can download DPP for free

Denis

I've taken up your challenge There's a post-it note on the monitor reminding me to do the list in 2916

I also notice Barry has gone quiet since you mentioned it's his turn to get the drinks in

I am still here and reading and wondering if some of you are taking leave of your senses :P and my list looks at it in another way, the glass half full way.

1. Like to think I have mastered picture taking and image editing. That part is easy now.

2. Cancelling Photoshop is a deal breaker, that goes, the lot goes :(

3. Who gives a s$&/ who likes something, only I count :D

4. I have a couple of decent AV's

5. Have retired from work and now have more time than I sometimes know what to do with. 

6. Magazines went a long time ago when all the articles stopped being helpful. Haven't bought one for 15 years or more. I get the odd one from the camera club when someone else is trying to create floor space in their house. :P 

7. Would like to find someone here who has the same enthusiasm as me and around the same age, but no luck yet :(

13 hours ago, Barry said:

7. Would like to find someone here who has the same enthusiasm as me and around the same age, but no luck yet :(

Are you sure you are posting in the right place if you are looking for someone who has the same enthusiasm!

... enthusiasm for what, exactly?  :P 

A post in the right place should probably be along the lines of...

Balding Pommie WLTM like minded Photographers to share long exposure sessions, No Over Exposure types allowed.    

Andy,

Care to share what is on your post-it action list? 

Andy 

I'm not too keen on Canon DPP, I have always used Photoshop.

Well Barry suppose I nearly lost my senses:o, never thought that my canon 5Dsr would not be compatible with Camera Raw version 6 in PS5. Got us all ways who would like to unsubscribe at some time. 

Denis

Should have left number 6 until 2917:wacko:

At least Lithman has enthusiasm Barry and around the same age! :D

Lithman,

Thanks for giving us all some hope.

Doreen,

That's Adobe marketing for you, they know you can afford a 5Dsr, so why not a few quid each month for their software. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Lithman will emigrate to Australia? It's not far if you say it quick. 

Doreen

Go and get some therapy to overcome this morbid fear of paying annually for Photoshop :D Owning a Canon 5Dsr without PS is like owning a Bugatti Veyron to pop to the shops. 

I could have told you that CS5 would not work with that camera, well, most of it would,  but raw would not. Imagine a software company that every time a new camera was launched and to keep,their old users happy, they had to write new software for Creative Cloud, CS-6, CS-5, CS-4, CS-3, CS-2, CS, Photoshop 7, Photoshop 6, 5, 4, 3 etc.

I used to think it was a marketing thing, but now I think it's just common sense. So get over it or I might have to sneak over to your part of Australia and steal that camera one night. :D

Denis

Enthusiasm for photography of course, but most people my age seem to be bringing up grandchildren, so don't have any time for themselves. We are not in that situation and therefore we have time on our hands. Is that good or bad?  depends how you look at it I suppose. :P

Lithman

I praise you for keeping active and your enthusiasm:).

Denis

Yes it’s true.. I do have some funny looks when I actually say “I can’t afford it” whatever it is:blink:

Well Barry I’ll try hard to get over it, my glass is half empty sometimes:unsure:

I have loads of time to get over it and get my therapy before you sneak and steal my camera one night:rolleyes:. It will take you lots and lots of your time on your hands to come to my neck of the woods, and by the time you reach here you may as well have bought the Canon 5Dsr…. I live in Cannock Chase U.K :D

Doreen.

Well, never say never, Cannock Chase can't be that hard to find. Isn't that quite an infamous place from what I remember :(

Yes, we are about 90 minutes north of Brisbane Airport and we do have room for visitors, just not Dec, Jan & March because my son is coming over for a 3 month stay :o The house will be a bit full

Barry

I think you are referring to the Cannock Chase murders. See Cannock Chase Murders,  Wikipedia.

I was traumatised by this horrific incident when I was a young school girl myself. I had nightmares and sleepless nights until the murderer was found. I can still see the faces of the schoolgirls now. There was lots of angry talk of burning the Chase down from parents, this upset me dreadfully, lying awake thinking of the wildlife.

Shame this blackened the name of Cannock Chase, it shouldn’t have, the incidents occurred outside the forest as it shown on TV where police closed the roads of Mansty Gully ( a through road ) and Pottal Pool an old quarry.

Cannock Chase is a beautiful place and as I said it’s a shame Cannock Chase has been blackened because of this horrific incident.

On a lighter note, we have Tom Jones and his band playing in July at the could be Famous Cannock Chase :wub: 

Fact of life I suppose that bad news stays in our memory.

Talking of 60s rockers my daughter says McCartney is doing a gig in Brisbane in early December, might go to that. Saw a recreation band last year who did Sgt Pepper and Abbey Rd back to back and they were brilliant.

Just booked tickets for September to see them do the first 5 Beatles albums live

Sounds Great, I have seen lots of live performance from the 60’s until now, from Dusty Springfield, Dave Berry ( the crying game ) Status Quo, Tom Jones, Blue Mink ( Madeline Bell ) Cream,  just to name a few,, recently Elkie Brooke and Joe Brown. 

Like McCartney’s advanced style, Tom Jones, Elkie Brooke and Joe Brown have their fantastic different style of today.. Their backing bands are brilliant. Joe Brown is a brilliant musician playing his guitars and banjos with his son in his own band.

His son to the right of him.

https://youtu.be/0M7-viL9SGw

I saw Joe Brown play All Things Bright and Beautiful on a 12 string guitar at a summer season in Great Yarmouth when I was a teenager. I had no idea of his talent till then. Just thought he was a pop singer. He was a great mate of George Harrison's too.

Best album Tom Jones made was recent in 2010. Praise and Blame. A Gospel style, but very good. I am still playing it

Nice one Denis  :P