The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tinion 45

Saltwick Sunrise

Decided one weekend recently, to travel 2.5 hours to Saltwick Bay (just south of Whitby, UK) at 1am and arrived in time for sunrise at 4:45, though it had already started when I got there just after 3:30. Had the beach to myself for 5 minutes and the Moon rise had begun just about 45 minutes before. It looked like the Moon Rise was almost from the same position as where the sun was to be coming from. 4 other photographers turned up about 5 minutes after me to experience a glorious morning. Well worth the trip to get a few images, and left once the sun was up and back home for breakfast at 08:30. Amazing how quick the time goes when you are enjoying yourself chasing compositions. The tide was getting lower as the sun was coming up and managed to get water in my wellies with a few crashing waves. Here is my pick of the bunch for you to comment on, and make criticism if you wish. It's all a learning curve and I am still in the middle of it, so feel free. Taken with Fujifilm X-T2 and Fuji 16mm 1.4 lens.  

Black Nab Sunrise-Edit4.jpg

Well, I am all for a dawn shoot and getting up early is OK by me,  but you deserve a medal for above and beyond for this one.  Dawn comes early in the UK during June. I well recall the start of the freshwater fishing season on 16th June where you could see to tackle up on the lake edge well before 4am

Well, that image was well worth getting up for and the light looks pretty nice, I like the depth you have captured from the 16mm and small aperture. I would like to see a shot from a yard or two left, looking more right. Although, I appreciate that may not have been possible if something is in the way. The foreground rocks would be slightly better placed as would the sticky up rock.

I think your blue is a bit heavy, but that is personal taste, when whenever I increase colour I almost always have to tone down blue.

Anyway, hope this has wetted your appetite for more dawn shoots, you can take on one next time we are over 

seascape.jpg

Joan,

Went home to do chores in the house and fell to sleep late afternoon. ;)

Perhaps should have stayed longer, but with clear skies it gets too bright to get good images. I keep going back each year to the same beach as I love the isolation there. So many good subjects to find with the sea life you can see under the water and the old wreck of the Admiral Von Trump. You have to go when the tide is out to be able to wade out and when it is low enough the slate bed becomes visible giving great textures. Sometimes when you go the weather does not play ball but that's all part of the thrill. 

One summer solstice when I went, I arrived with three other photographers already there and in the end I counted 14 of us. The three that were there before me were Tim Parkin (On Landscape Magazine editor), Joe Cornish (you may have heard of him) and his son. So the pressure to deliver was certainly on that day. 

Barry,

Thanks for your valuable comments as usual.

I'm never quite sure about the Blues and play quite a bit trying to get a good balance. I think I am swayed a bit by the fact that at that time of day the sky is still quite dark above  as the night fades. The image probably looks lighter than my eyes perceived it at the time, but I quite like the fact that the reflected sky is shown in the foreground. I used my new Heliopan Polariser filter to get the detail below the water in the foreground. This may have also given darker blues than the reality.

As for positioning I know I should have gone for rule of thirds and do think that the subjects are a bit central, so it's really me trying to break the rules and maybe not succeeding. As you can tell I like the image due to the light and the foreground details. This is probably the first image I have decided to print big for a long time which I am still looking at, to decide if it needs more tweaking, but so far I'm pretty pleased with the print. 

Care to tell me how you adjusted the image to get the Rocks to line up on the right as you have. I tried to use content aware move tool on another image and failed miserably getting the small waves in the water to look right. Looks like you have stretched it a bit. 

I would love to have a session there when you next come over, I'm sure you would love the location and perhaps time it with Goth week in Whitby, would give you plenty of material for an AV or two. Oh and it's still your turn to get the drinks in. :D

Morturn,

The Whitby Holiday Park as it is now called can be accessed from Hawkser Lane down a single track road. Just outside the Park entrance is a grassed area which you can park on for free. Walk inside the Park entrance about 15 yards to the public footpath which has steps leading down to the beach. As you are probably aware the best time to go is at low tide as a lot more of the beach (slate bed) is revealed. 

DSCF1136IXT-small.jpg

I just cut it in half with a soft selection and used content aware, but what I could get away with on a small image will probably be more difficult on the high res version.

The dawn light does seem to have a subtle difference to dusk. Perhaps it's just that it follows many hours of darkness and stillness.

Ah! In half... horizontally, less things in the way to go wrong with content aware. The diagonal composition seems to work well. Time for more experimentation I think or, another trip back there. You are just too good at this photography game Barry.

There is so much BS talked about composition, it just works and a study of a number of good images confirms that. So, I try to meet it where I can and lately I have been looking more at the other composition rules. I find that often many of the composition rules can work in just one image.

just call up the crop in Photoshop and hit the O key and scroll through them

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this