The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

July 2017 Newsletter

Quality – you are absolutely right Barry, it does seem to be on its way out and I think the culprit is, primarily, the ease with which images can now be created on mobile phones and the like. Sometimes, these relatively low quality images can be invaluable – especially now that we have the ability to ‘transmit’ the picture instantly to the other side of the world. However, I believe we are talking about the average ‘happy snapper’ who has never been really interested in the quality of an image.

I remember, back in the late 1940s, when film became readily available after WW2, I bought my first 35mm camera. At that time, my father, a keen amateur photographer, would ridicule my ‘miniature’ camera (as 35mm cameras were know in those days) because, in his view, and in the view of most club members at the time, the ‘standard’ was the 6cm x 6cm negative produced by cameras such as the Rolleiflex - and 35mm negatives, by and large, could not match the 6 x 6 for quality. But things improved, lenses got better, film got better and, probably most important of all, 35mm cameras were easy to carry about – so you had one with you when you needed it.

Go back even further – the quality of the images produced by plate cameras. Who can deny that pictures produced by photographers like Frank Meadow Sutcliffe were outstanding?

So, things change. It is so easy nowadays to produce pictures by the thousand that people don’t take the care that they had to in the past. Film cost a lot of money – not to mention the time and cost of processing. Digital pictures are free.

I think we are going through a period of change, but its not all bad. The technology is improving and, in time, the rubbish will be discarded to leave some beautiful, creative and really great photographs to match those from the past.

Barry

I have never used the 'save as Zip' option in PTE but do often end up with a lot of unused pictures in the 'Images for Show' folder which I delete before saving a backup version. I have been caught out by relying on identifying the used pictures being shown in bold because if a picture is added as an inset in the 'objects and animation' screen it does not change the picture to bold type in the picture list. It is not difficult to make a note of the inset pictures but it would be handy if the Zip method overcame this. Do you know whether or not the Zip file saves the insets?

By the way, I bought your Exposure tutorials and am finding them very useful - even after some 30 years of photography.

Paul

Paul

The Backup in Zip saves everything, that is all you need to do to be able to store your slide show and open it again anytime in the future

A lot of photographers seem to think that with PS and LR exposure isn't vital anymore. Well, it's not so important if you're happy to accept your photography as a hit and miss hobby or you're happy with poor quality images that you have to spend an age in Photoshop just getting to the point you should have achieved at the button press :P