The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JEvans

Howgill Hills

Prompted by Barry's video on infra-red editing, I remembered that I had his tutorials on mono editing.  So dug them out and followed one or two again before having a go with an image I had previously discarded, or at least removed to the "not quite good enough" bin.  It is am image of the Howgill Hills which run parallel to the M6 in Lancashire.Howgills.thumb.jpg.f8b097ded9a4b2989917bbf64e242952.jpg

Here is my final version using many of the ideas that Barry describes.  In fact I followed his general method almost exactly, just modifying the techniques to suit my particular picture.  Interested in any comments!

Jeff

My initial thoughts are is the composition the best that it could have been? There does not appear to be any real lead in to the hills and your eye keeps being stopped by not so interesting obstacles in the way. I feel the sky also replicates the foreground by being not so interesting. The conversion seems competent enough but maybe some more dodging and burning to make it more stormy, or darkening some of the foreground sections to give the image more contrasting areas may help. Landscapes like this where the main subject is in the distance need that close foreground interest to entice you into the image.

I like the clarity in the image and find myself drawn into it fairly well. I would be a bit more aggressive with the sky in the editing, but that is a personal view only. I just like a lot of power in monochrome shots generally. The tree on the left sort of stands guard and steers me to the right, where I find hills that then take me left into the picture and into the distance.

i also think that some images do look better in a larger size.  I am viewing this on my iPad and suspect a 24in print of this would look pretty good. It’s certainly an image I would have singled out for processing Had I taken it.

I really should look at this again tomorrow on my main monitor, which I confess I haven’t done yet, it may come up much larger and perhaps I should have done that before commenting.

By the way and for general information. When posting images, I would suggest 1920 pixels on the long side is OK, as long as authors are happy to post that size. A while back we settled on 1200 pixels, but that doesn’t seem logical now.

Thank you all for your comments. I actually printed this on A3 with a panoramic aspect ratio and the print looks better than the digital version. I prefer prints as the choice of paper has a great influence on the final appearance. I never use glossy paper for mono prints but prefer a matte paper like Fotospeed high white smooth.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this