The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Morturn

Whitby Pier with the Sony RX100 IV.

Earlier this year I bought myself a Sony RX100 IV. I have been toying with the idea of a small camera, something I can just pop in my pocket. I am quite impressed with the results, and take it most places now. wonder what other members think.

Whitby Pier.jpg

I think it has done an impressive job in rendering the colours well and given a good quality image. There is a bit of lens distortion being a wide angle but no more than expected. Having taken a similar shot a little closer to the light at the end, the pier gives a great photo opportunity for lead in lines, texture, clean backgrounds, a nice sun set or sunrise, or sky/weather formations and a bit of red the judges love. You have captured it at the right time and shown off the colour and light and given a good composition. I would still have been tempted to walk closer into the bend to use the light as the subject the boards and railings are leading to rather than blocking it off a little by the railings. The red bouy is where my eye leads to in this shot. Still a good image to print and hang on the wall.

This is an attractive low level shot and the camera has produced an excellent image. I like the lighting and the grain in the wood.  Not exactly sure about the sky colour but maybe that was what it was.  In our club we have seen a number of similar pier type images where the end of the pier meets the horizon and there has been a majority in favour of the end of the pier being higher.  But in this image I like it just as it is.  It is amazing what small modern cameras can produce now. Of course the Sony has Zeiss lens, but I would miss an optical view finder.

Great image, some of the compact cameras create stunning images and have the advantage of the lightness and size to fit in your pocket:).  I have the Canon G5X, can't fault it even using jpeg mode.

Was your image  jpeg or a raw file?

Really like your image Morturn. The lighting and the detail in the wooden planks, the composition and the leading lines, the compact camera has handled it all so well. (Well maybe the photographer deserves some credit too!) How much editing did you do on the original shot? joan

Great shot.

I like this picture too, but it has little to do with the camera used. What makes this image work is that it was shot at the right time of day and in the right conditions. It was also shot with an equivalent lens of 28mm, which was just about perfect for the subject. The low viewpoint is another very positive decision. I could also add,  that lovely curve at the end of the pier. The only debate I could have is with the colour balance. The colour does seem to add something, but it is leaning strongly towards green. Its interesting to do a Ctrl+Shift+B in Photoshop to apply auto colour and compare.

So, I am sure the camera is great, but it's not the deciding factor here at all. Credit where it's due, and it should be with the photographer.

Its a wonderful image Morturn:)

I can relate to the saucepans Barry. Had visitors last night, the lady commented on my rather large canvas image of Oban Harbour situated on my dining room wall....

"Well that photograph certainly wasn't taken with no ordinary camera" ( her words )

HuH hey keep quiet:ph34r:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this