The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

February Newsletter

I enjoyed the February News Letter, thanks. It was good to hear your thoughts on drones, they are certainly becoming very popular. Most of the content on the internet tends to be focused on video, so it nice to get a few thoughts on how we can maximise their use in photography.

My drone did not arrive, and Amazon have confirmed a refund. I’m just waiting for it to land back in the bank. I will of course get one when this is sorted.

I think you are more experienced with video than I am to be honest,  but I have been educated recently with regard to frames per second -v- shutter speed. I have discovered that video needs to have some blur to look right, which sounds odd. It means at 30 FPS a shutter speed of 60th is good, but I guess you know this already.

I think a lot of the video my son shot was too sharp, with shutter speeds of well over 1000th of a second. To bring the shutter speed down, it will be necessary to add a neutral density filter because the aperture is fixed in the Mavic

We had some difficulty in getting video to run really smooth on the PC. My son thinks it’s computer power, but I am not so sure. Shoot video too sharp and all 30 FPS will contain great detail, because of the sharpness. I wonder if this alone could cause a video to stutter a little because the PC has to cope with so much data in all of those 30fps.

Any thoughts

Well I run mainly at 24 fps and it runs fine on my PC. If you want to drop Box me a sample that does not run smooth, ill try it on my computer.

I think it may be the codec your using, I am filming in H624 and know that some of the other codecs can be challenging.

When I eventually get my drone, ill try these settings as a baseline starting point

4K @ 30fps

Format: MP4

ISO 100 or 200

1/60th Shutter Speed

White Balance: Custom @ 7000K +/- based on conditions

D-Log: +1, -1, -1 OR 0, -1, -1 (Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation)

Here is a link to a bit of footage, that runs smooth enough, but it has a sort of pulse in the colour/density. it's not easy to see, but once seen I notice it all the time. I cannot now discover what shutter speed was used in this clip. Nothing shows in the metadata, but I can see that it appears to have been shot in 4K. I wonder if me calling the issue smoothness is not right, perhaps it's the Moire effect because the video is too sharp

Video Clip

Yes I an see it too. Most certainly the playback is smooth, so I am  thinking it just a processing problem when the video is compressed in the camera. It may be sharpness, which is know to cause some fuzziness in part of the video.

I am glad you can see it and I am not being paranoid. As I said earlier I could not convince my son of the need for neutral density filters, but then he’s not a photographer.

How do you punch up the colour, contrast and clarity of your videos, especially those shot in the golden hour. Even that sample needs a shot of all three

I am wondering if this is an auto white balance problem? It looks like its hunting for the correct WB. I always set it to manual by either doing a custom white balance or set it to daylight.

In terms of punch up the colour, contrast and clarity I use Premiere Pro, you can add and adjustment layer. The fast colour corrector and unsharp mask are quite some handy tools for this.

I can't recall what white balance my son used, i suspect it's whatever the default is. I never thought of that. 

In Photoshop's motion window you can add adjustment layers for Levels, colour and the other options yo video. I have been using those, but I wondered if there was a better way.

You can also add a new layer over the video and in some cases clone to it or add a sky gradient 

It looks like the problem may be with Mavic’s in-built noise reduction. It seems to not be too good at dealing with shadows at sharpness settings below +1.

Advice is to switch off noise reduction and leave sharpness at no less than +1

I don't see halos around the Hilltops in the Pdf if viewed at normal size, but I do reduce the size of images for my newsletters to only 645 pixels on the long side which fits nicely on the page. I did manipulate the images my son took fast and in many cases automatically using the settings for one to be applied to others. My son shot 3000 images and videos and I sent him home with almost 300 raw images that I worked through. I say this because with a 12mp camera you can introduce more problems that you're solving if your not too careful.

However, I opened up the originals and don't see any issues with halos, some with noise, but I could rework those and reduce it.

Thank you Barry for a very interesting newsletter. I loved The Drones are Coming Audio Visual, so tranquil and superb images, makes me was one:rolleyes: Thank you for sharing and taking the time to show us:)

Referring to the video clip, the video didn't play smoothly at all on my computer:(