The Beckham Digital Forum
Dave C

Return to Infrared

Hiya all, been a while since I was on these forums. after having shot images of everything that moves or doesn`t move within a sensible area where i live and then shooting some 4K video I decided (after selling my Infrared cameras) to have a small inexpensive camera converted.

It`s the 16 mega pixel fuji XM1. I have been using mainly my 14mm 2.8 lens (equi 21mm in 35mm terms) because there are no hot spots that I can see. The camera does not have a viewfinder so I have been using a Hoodman loupe just pressed against the lcd screen and held in place just by pressure from my spectacles. 

So, i thought i need to do something different or my interest will wane. so, for the last month or so I have been shooting Infrared with my converted camera at 720nm, almost pure b&w with just a touch of colour although the sensor does pick up blue now and then but mainly yellow and normally I convert to mono and then just add a touch of colour to one or two items in the image.

As Barry has explained in his intro video it is very simple to get decent results in dull or bright sunny conditions and I always bracket three shots (sometimes changing the + or minus depending on the outcome.)  Anyway, take a look and don`t be afraid to leave comments (good or bad)

Galleries HERE

Dave

You do know that you can add photos here and much larger than the 800 pixel versions on Pbase. In fact, on a 27in monitor, its rather old hat to view such a tiny image. Have you thought about Flickr, or SmugMug as it will soon be called. 

I lifted an image from your galleries, but they are rather small to view nicely

167428204.rbqjctQo.jpg

I usually post at 1920 pixels on the long side here. Infrared Canon 5D at 720nm. The Ballarat Gold Town in Victoria

_MG_0443-1.jpg

Hiya

Advance Camera Repairs of Watton in Norfolk, I have in the past sent cameras to the States (Lifepixel) they do a great job  but with import duties etc  it works out quite expensive. Advance has done a great job on my fuji, focus is superb and everything worked fine even IR video. It worked out around £300 with P&P.

Dave

14 hours ago, Barry said:

You do know that you can add photos here and much larger than the 800 pixel versions on Pbase. In fact, on a 27in monitor, its rather old hat to view such a tiny image. Have you thought about Flickr, or SmugMug as it will soon be called. 

I lifted an image from your galleries, but they are rather small to view nicely

i`m using a s4"167428204.rbqjctQo.jpg

I`m not using my 27" monitor , it`s indoors in my study. I`m just using a 24". I work in my radio shack and what with the electric bikes and all the amateur radio gear space is tight. I never put my images on any forum, just the web site. My internet speed stuck out in the country is so slow and I just upload a series before going to bed :-) although they are preparing fibre in the village so things might change soon. I do save at least one file at 1920 for making Av`s though. Same old same old, if you want peace and quiet then and enjoy the beautiful walks around here and to ride your bike with no traffic then things like gas, pubs and main drainage have to be done without I`m afraid. Re  viewing images on p base, I suppose it depends on your monitor res cos they fill the screen here. I have the dreaded cataract in my only good eye so that affects my viewing  and I have the res up a bit. hope all is well your end, beautiful weather here for a change. I`ve got to shoot up to our village church and shoot the interior now for the garden open day brochure (that should be fun) BTW although I set "notify me of replies" I seem to be being ignored for some reason. (is it something I said ?) :-)

I can’t get your PBase images anywhere near full screen. It’s just 800 pixels. With Flickr, you can upload full size images and restrict the size of what others can download. It’s quite good.

Not done anything here to stop you being notified. Probably user error 😂

That looks like a magic moment Doreen, well done 😉

Be careful walking where those dear have been, we get them in our field out back and my wife picked up a tick on her leg and contracted Lymes decease ☹️ I`m told that it`s dear that pass it onto the ticks in the first place.

I would probably lift the lighter tones on the deer, just to make it stand out a little stronger. The picture works far better when viewed large. Many filter effects can lose their appeal when we view them small, so this needs to be seen on a PC and clicked to bring it up to full size

Thank you for all comments, much appreciated.

It was a magic moment Dave, very rare for me. I know you have to be careful and very observant in the woods. We have adders and the nuisance of thieves lurking about. Trouble is when a magic moment comes like this observation disappears.

Denis I did think of popping colour, I may try it a little later and as Barry suggested lifting the lighter tones of the deer.