The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Drones

I love it.

It gives me an opportunity to put a different prospective on places. This is Breedon on the Hill church. For years the hill has been quarried away, so this photo shows the extent of the quarrying work.

Breedone-Mavic-Apr-18_0004-1.jpg

You definitely have the knack for this video work. It looks very professional, especially those close up shots that I would never have thought of taking. With still you get so obsessed with sharpness, I wonder sometimes if perhaps I am missing something. The church is beginning to look a bit isolated and it remind me of the houses you see from time to time, that get lost due to eroding cliffs.

I am still a little undecided about the drone, I wonder if it will be a 5 minute wonder, but then at my time of life, I might only have 6 minutes left :-) 

Thanks for the film feedback, its nice to know its going in the right direction. Its the movement I like, especially water. I would plan as if your going to live till your a hundred and spend all the kids inheritance

Yes, I have thought of that, spend it on a new camera and a drone. Funny though, just been talking to Carol about Photography in general and where it’s going in relation to how I have known it all my adult life.

The feeling I am getting with traditional camera clubs is they are slowly dying. I know we have said that for years, but I just see a difference now. It seems to be harder and harder to get people to do anything to help on committees. When it comes to club outings, you would think we were planning a visit was to the dentist. We cannot drum up any enthusiasm for the old style battles and even when we do, no one goes on the night it’s to be judged, apart from us few diehards.

At the end of this year a few key players are stepping down in our club after many years. I can’t really see anyone with enthusiasm to take their place. I hope I am wrong and once a gap appears someone will rise up to fill it, but I am not very confident of that. 

Just watched your video David. Forgot to turn the speaker on for the first couple of minutes and the absence of music bought home to me how crucial music is in AV's. Your choice in this respect was excellent and really augmented the movement of water and machinery in the video. Liked it very much, thanks for posting the link.

I'm inclined to think drones will continue to have a place in modern photography. They bring such a different perspective and can take us to places our feet, or our motor cars can't.

Hope clubs, especially yours Barry, continue to have a place in modern photography too.

It is a tricky one with camera clubs. The impression I formed a few years ago when I visited a couple was that they were propped up by a few enthusiasts who were ageing with the club.

I feel that the type of photography that they do is not appealing to a younger audience. Incidentally, drone photography seems to be very attractive to the younger generation.

Dave

I think you have summed it up rather well with your line:- Clubs are propped up by a few enthusiasts who were ageing with the club. 

That's about it in a nutshell I think, but I can't think of anything new and exciting to inject into club life. Even online clubs can be a bit odd. I have seen them gradually reduced to back slapping clubs where members queue up to say how wonderful Roberts new photo is. It might help the ego, but that's about all.

In my early days of photography there seemed to be dozens of enthusiasts in every club, with a sprinkling of others around the edges who were just flirting with photography for a while. It seems the other way around now. Most flirting with it for a while with only very few who are real enthusiasts 

It's only a short clip, but it does help sell the mavic. As you say the quality is very good. Did you shoot that at 4K and downsize it or did you record it straight to HD?

What we found in Australia on bright sunny summer days was that the shutter speed of the video was too fast.  I read about it later that it gives an unnatural look for subjects with movement or movement of the drone. There needs to be a little blur even in video I have learned, The solution is ND  filters, because the Mavic as you know has a fixed aperture, but I couldn't convince my son that this was the route to go. I would expect it not to be such a problem in the UK, or in more overcast situations.

Have you spotted this issue at all? 

It looks like one of my Son's drone images will be used in the Noosa Coastal Care Calendar for 2019, they have asked for three high resolution images. One attached

DJI_0307-1.jpg

Yes, shot in 4K, did a bit of post processing then downsized.

Generally, frame rate should be twice shutter speed, but this is not cast in stone. In some action shots the high frame rate can add to the look. The same can be said for a lot more motion blur to create a dream like look.

I do have a set of ND filters for my drone camera, although not used on this shot. There is a photo app to calculate which one to use. ND filters for drones are not all that expensive, and only take up a small amount of space. I have a couple of ND with polarizing filters but have not used them yet.

PS that one for the Noosa Coastal Care Calendar looks spot on

It's not bad for a 12MP camera on a Drone.

I guess you would quickly get a feel for what ND would be suitable in certain situations. As you say, its not cast in stone, but there were times when my son had the drone recording video as it flew down the beach in sport mode (fast) I felt it needed the filter in the bright conditions.  

Here is a clip taken in that Mavic sport mode, but in actual fact this one doesn't look too bad. My son felt that when the Mavic had some height, the movement looked too slow, so was keen on the speed mode. I think I would have taken it slower

Download Clip

Yes it looks good to me too. Saying that, most certainly slower clips do look good. I used tripod mode to go up the spire, but did trying it running over a bridge but it was too slow then.

I thinks its about thinking the shot out first, which is what most of us already do when doing stills. 

That was a point I was trying to make to my son. Plan what you’re going to go, but of course here, every time the drone went up, you were not sure what view you would get

I can understand why he would think that, but again like photography, its s skill you develop. There are a set of recognised shots and moves that filmmakers use:

The establishing shot, the wide shot, the medium close up. then combine these with the drone movement, so you get the reveal etc

Well I almost had a disaster last week when I managed to get my drone stuck up and old railway swing bridge tower. Fortunately I know some guys with climbing equipment who got up and recovered it.

This is the footage that was on the card. Barry knows this place quite well.

https://youtu.be/_ARVwOJDoSw

That was great, brought back memories of the Hulks and I remember the grooves pulled into a bridge by ropes that dragged the barges up and down river, I'll come back to the UK again and sometime and we can go back. What a different perspective the drone gives to the place too. 

So, how did you manage to crash the drone and was it damaged? I noticed when my son was here that I found it hard to judge distance when looking at the drone (not the iPhone screen as he was). He was flying down a Creek and it looked like he was very close to the trees to me, but he was less phased and had quite a bit of fun at my cautious approach. I also looked at a few Youtube videos and most losses of drones seem to be in trees, so perhaps my concern wasn't completely misplaced. I can visualise a time when your concentrating so much on capturing the footage that you take your eye off the ball so to speak. 

You are getting some great video though, what's your secret and settings you have found best. 

Cheers. I managed to crash it looking into the screen and taking my eye off where it was in the sky. I yawed sideways into a tree on the top of the tower. the drone just shut itself down and was stuck.

It was perfectly fine when I got it down, just changed the battery and was off again. It had been up there a week.

I have had a lay around with the setting and come up with:

Video Settings

4K @ 25fps

Format: MP4

Manual

ISO 100 or 200

1/60th Shutter Speed

Focus Peaking - on

White Balance: Custom @ 7000K +/- based on conditions

D-Cinelike: -1, -1, -1 (Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation)

Photo Settings:

4:3

ISO 100 max

RAW – DNG

White Balance – Sunny so photos look similar

Auto Exposure Bracket x3 or x5

Grid Overlay

Photo panoramas

Its worth setting up the way the drone fly's and how the gimbal operates to get smoother footage :

Gimbal Settings:

Yaw EXP: 0.20

Gimbal Speed: 11

Enable 30 Degrees Up

Gimbal Smoothness: 20

Enable Gimbal Sync. off

EXP Settings

Normal

Throttle Up/Down – 0.25

Rudder Right/Left – 0.10

Forward/right – Backward/Left – 0.15

Sensitivity

Attitude 100

Brake 130

Yaw Movement Limit 50

Urgent Stop Mode

Breakdown

David,

Smashing footage. So many of my local club members know this area for good reason.  I have never been but I feel I must make the effort having seen the landscape now.

Thank you I enjoyed it very much. Did I catch sight of you at one stage?

Anthony

Barry your Son's drone image looks excellent, to be on the calender for the  Noosa Coastal care Calender.

David I enjoyed your video of Purton Hulks, brought back some memories it's amazing how wide the river Severn is. I must visit Purton Hulk's  again . 

John. 

Anthony, you did indeed, just behined the tower with the dark blue top and baseball cap. Do have a trip to Purton, very happy to give you a few places to go.

Hey up John, maybe we should organise a day out

I did recognise the drone pilot stance too and you have got well into those settings. 

Can you remind me what programme you use to put the show together