The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Drones

Hello David.

A day out would be nice, open to suggestions all being well we are hopping to go to the BCM. 1940's weekend this month. The Birmingham City canal's, SVR. Purton Hulks.

Best Wishes.

John.

I Googled it for a bit more info today. It looks a lot like the tin mines from Cornwall, but then I suppose a lead mine wouldn't look a great deal different. Then a read down further and read about the ruined Cornish Engine House. Duh!

I liked the bit about the Widow's Curse. 

Not sure mining would have been my thing, especially not 200 years ago

The Cornish certainly developed metal mining technology to a fine art that was used elsewhere, hence the look of the pumping engine house.

Saying that, I have been down a few of the Derbyshire lead mines. I imagine working conditions would have been wrenched. They only removed mineral bearing material, so some of the passageways are tiny.   

I think Cornish tin miners came here to Australia too didn’t they? In fact they went everywhere because they had the skills and experience.

Working by candle light, that they had to buy I think, could not have been that healthy. One really great thing came out of all that mining. Cornish Pasties 😀 Real food and it comes with a handle to eat it, the Cornish Crimp. I did learn something from my bakery days.