The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob

The White Elephant

We have a tree in our village which, with a little bit of imagination, takes on the shape of an elephant as it comes in to leaf. It seemed an ideal subject for infra-red photography. Hence, the white elephant.

White ElephantIMG_0073.jpg

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you haven't captured the required sparkle in your Elephant. It's rather flat and needs a boost. If you look at the levels in PD with this image on screen, we can see one reason why. Look at the fact that on the right the histogram does not stretch to the right hand side, meaning some of the white tones are lost. If you look at the left hand side we see the same with the dark tones.

Assuming you created this as a Raw file, you can also view the Histogram in ACR or LR 

snap656.jpg

It's not a great idea for me to make those adjustments on a small Jpeg, much better to do it on the original Raw file, but even here you can see the improvement and the histogram looks much better too

1049374350_WhiteElephant.jpg

snap657.jpg

The thing is, that histogram is much more valuable than many appreciate. Especially in Camera Raw or Lightroom. It shows us what sliders to move and to a large degree, how far to move them.

Get that right and a large part of the contrast and clarity comes good too