The Beckham Digital Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Well Done

Here's another debatable question. When judging images, should a judge say well done at the end of their comments.

Reasonable ? - Unreasonable ? 

Barry, I know your sentiments regarding judging and club rules but any judge worth his salt would want to encourage even a mediocre photographer to greater heights. A word of encouragement never harms and positivity is always a virtue don't you think? I've seen too many aspiring club members shy away from competitions due to poor, inconsiderate comments.

8 hours ago, Barry said:

When judging images, should a judge say well done at the end of their comments.

Not every time as a matter of course, otherwise it becomes meaningless.
However, it's very rare that a judge cannot find something positive to say about an image and it's always good to 'end on a high'.

When judging individual images the judges comments should be about that individual image, making positive comments where warranted and highlighting any negative aspects if any are present. Saying well done after every image is overkill in my eyes, as there are more than one way to express if the author has put in some effort to an entry. If at the end of judging all images the judge says well done, or aimed at the just the winners, I would class it as good etiquette and is a way of recognition to the club and the effort the members and competition organisers have put into the event.

It could very well be the place I am at right now, but to me it seems a little arrogant to say well done and annoying when it comes too often.  It assumes that the judges photographic standard is way above the person being judged and that ain’t always so.

Making that assumption is arrogant, like talking to a child who just managed to tie their shoe laces. Well done !